The Government of India has instituted the "Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar", a category of national awards given in the field of science, technology and innovation.
Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar (RVP) will be one of the highest awards in the field of science, technology and innovation in India.
For what purpose was RVP started?
- The objective of RVP is to highlight the remarkable and inspiring contributions made by scientists, technologists and inventors individually or in teams in various fields of science, technology and technology-based innovation.
Who will be eligible for RVP?
- The Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar shall be one of the highest recognitions in the field of science, technology, and innovation in India.
- Scientists working in government, private sector organisations or any individual working outside any organisation, who have made distinguished contributions in terms of path-breaking research innovation or discovery in any field of science, technology, or technology-led innovation shall be eligible for the awards.
Will people of Indian origin also be eligible?
- People of Indian origin who have made extraordinary contributions to benefit Indian communities or society while living abroad will also be eligible for the award.
In how many categories will RVP be given?
- Vigyan Ratna (VR) Award: Will recognise lifetime achievements and contributions made in any field of science and technology.
- Vigyan Shri (VS) Award: Will recognise distinguished contributions in any field of science and technology.
- Vigyan Yuva-Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar (VY-SSB) Award: We will recognise and encourage young scientists up to the age of 45 years who have made extraordinary contributions in any field of science and technology.
- Science Team (VT) Award: To be given to a team of three or more scientists/researchers/inventors who have made extraordinary contributions by working as a team in any field of science and technology.
RVP provided in how many areas?
- Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar will be given in 13 fields, namely Physics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Mathematics and Computer Science, Earth Sciences, Medicine, Engineering Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Technology and Innovation, Atomic Energy, Space Science and Technology and others.
- In this award, representation from every field of work including gender equality will be ensured.
The Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar Committee (RVPC) will take the final decision:
- All nominations received for Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar will be placed before the Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar Committee (RVPC), chaired by the Principal Scientific Advisor (PSA) to the Government of India.
- Final decisions in this regard will be taken by RVPC only.
- The RVPC will consist of Secretaries of Science Departments, members of Science and Engineering Academies and some eminent scientists and technologists from various fields of Science and Technology.
RVP will be given on National Space Day:
- Nominations for this category of awards will be invited on 14 January every year. Nominations will remain open till 28th February (National Science Day).
- These awards will be announced every year on 11 May (National Technology Day).
- The award ceremony for all categories of awards will be held on 23rd August (National Space Day).
- A certificate and a medal will also be given in all these awards.
These new Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar, along the lines of the Padma Awards, are a transformational step by the Government of India in recognising the achievements of the scientific community at the top level.
With transparency and fairness in the entire process of selection, the work done by all sections of scientific inventors and technologists will be honoured with a status at par with other national awards.