A total of 91 Indian universities have been ranked in the World University Rankings 2024 announced by the Times Higher Education (THE) magazine on 27 September 2023. IISc Bangalore has topped among Indian universities in this ranking. Last year, 75 Indian universities were included in this list, but this year it has increased.
Important facts of Times World Ranking 2024:
- IISc-Bangalore has made it to the list of top 250 universities for the first time since 2017 in the global university list announced by The Times.
- In terms of the number of universities, India has been ranked fourth in this list, last year this position was sixth.
- The most prominent Indian university in the Times World Rankings 2024 is the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore, which has taken the top spot for the first time since 2017.
- However, the top seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) have decided to remain out of the rankings for the fourth consecutive year.
- India has become the fourth best-represented country in the 2024 rankings, up from sixth last year.
- According to the latest rankings released by THE magazine, the second best performing Indian universities in the list include Anna University, Jamia Millia Islamia, Mahatma Gandhi University and Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences. All these universities fall under the 501-600 band.
List of top ten Indian universities ranked in 800-1000 band in Times World Ranking 2024
Indian Institute of Science Bangalore
- Anna University
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Mahatma Gandhi University
- Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences
- Alagappa University
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Banaras Hindu University
- Bharathiar University
- Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
The list included 1,904 universities from 108 countries:
- 1,904 universities from 108 countries have been included in this list. Whereas last year this number was 1,799.
- For the first time, 165 universities have been ranked, of which 89 are from Asia.
- 33 Asian universities are included in the top 200 in this list.
Which university has been ranked top in the Times World Rankings 2024?
- United Kingdom-based Oxford University has once again topped the rankings for the eighth consecutive year.
- While Stanford University (United States) is at second place.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (United States) is in third place.
- Along with Britain, American universities are also included in the top 10.
- China's universities are the best ranked universities in Asia overall.
The position of the UK and US in the higher education landscape is weakening:
- A comprehensive analysis conducted by THE magazine has revealed that the overall position of the UK and US in the global higher education landscape is declining compared to other systems.
Times Higher Education (THE) Magazine:
- In November 2004, The Times Higher Education Supplement, in collaboration with Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), released the first edition of the World University Rankings, assessing 200 universities.
- At that time the methodology relied on just five performance indicators, including:
- Staff-to-Student Ratio,
- Academic reputation, based on a survey
- Research paper citation,
- Presence of international staff on campus and
- Proportion of international students included.