Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel unveiled the Indian Navy's newest indigenous guided missile destroyer, Warship 'Surat,' in a ceremony in Surat on November 6, 2023.
- The unveiling ceremony of Warship 'Surat' was organized by Gujarat Navy under the aegis of Western Naval Command.
- Navy Chief Admiral R Hari Kumar also attended the ceremony.
Defense Minister had launched in March 2022:
- It is noteworthy that Defense Minister Rajnath Singh launched the guided missile destroyer, warship 'Surat' in Mumbai on March 17, 2022.
'Surat' next generation stealth guided missile destroyer 4th warship:
- Among the latest advance warship projects under construction, 'Project 15B' is the construction of the fourth Next Generation Stealth Guided Missile Destroyer of this programme, of which 'Surat' is the fourth and final ship.
Mazagon Docks is under construction at Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai:
- The warship is currently under construction at Mazagon Docks Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai.
- The construction of 'Surat' warship is dedicated to the nation for indigenous state-of-the-art warship building technology and strategic military advancements.
- At the time of independence, the country's navy was small but at present the Indian Navy has become a very capable, war-ready, united, reliable and capable force for the future.
Historical importance of Surat city:
- It is noteworthy that the city of Surat has been the most important maritime trading center for India and many other countries from the 16th to the 18th century.
- The city of Surat has also been a prosperous center for shipbuilding and during this period it has been famous for its shipbuilding as many of the ships built here have served for more than 100 years.
Naming of naval ships:
- It remains a maritime tradition and a naval tradition in India that our naval ships are named after major cities of our country.
- Therefore the country's Navy is very proud to name its latest and most technologically advanced warship after the city of Surat.
- This is the first warship to be named after any city in Gujarat and it is the first time that the spire of a warship is being unveiled in the same city after which it is named.