India remains at 40th position among 132 economies in the Global Innovation Index 2023 ranking published by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
For the last several years, India was ranked 81st (in 2015) in the Global Innovation Index (GII), which has improved to 40th position in 2023.
Reason for India's continuous improvement in ranking:
- During the unprecedented crisis caused by the Corona epidemic, India took important initiatives (innovations) in many areas which have improved the innovation ranking. The Prime Minister's call for Atma Nirbhar Bharat lies in this direction.
- The continuous improvement in GII ranking is due to the immense knowledge capital, vibrant start-up ecosystem and amazing work done by public and private research organizations.
- All departments of the government, including scientific departments like the Department of Science and Technology, have played an important role in enriching the national innovation eco system.
- Most importantly, Atal Innovation Mission has played a major role in expanding the innovation ecosystem.
- NITI Aayog is working tirelessly to ensure better national efforts for policy-led innovation in various sectors like electric vehicles, biotechnology, nanotechnology, space, alternative energy sources etc.
- The GII is a reliable tool for governments around the world to assess innovation-led social and economic changes in countries around the world.
- Over the years, the GII has established itself as a policy tool for various governments and has helped them reflect on the existing status quo.
- The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is also supporting India's journey towards an innovation-driven economy.
India launch of GII 2023 hosted by NITI Aayog:
- This year in partnership with CII and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), NITI Aayog is hosting the India launch of GII 2023 on September 29, 2023.
Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog: Suman Berry
Chief Executive Officer of NITI Aayog: BVR Subramaniam;
WIPO Director-General: Darren Tang;
Head of WIPO: Dr. Sacha Wunsch-Vincent
GII Co-Editor and Economics and Statistics Division: Alok Nanda