Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center (ISLRTC) celebrated ‘International Sign Language Day’- 2023 on 23 September 2023 in New Delhi.
It was organised by ISLRTC at a function organised at Dr. Ambedkar International Centre, Janpath, New Delhi.
- Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center (ISLRTC) is functioning under the administrative control of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India.
- Ever since the United Nations declared 23 September as International Sign Language Day, the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center celebrates this day every year on 23 September.
- The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities and the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center are making every possible effort to create positive awareness among all sections of our society about Sign Language Day.
The theme of Sign Language Day 2023:
- This year, the theme of Sign Language Day - 2023 is - “A World Where Deaf People Everywhere Can Sign Anywhere!”
- In this program, Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment Kumari Pratima Bhowmik participated as the chief guest and Rajesh Aggarwal, Secretary of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, participated as the guest of honour.
The following programs were launched during the event:
Online Self-Learning Courses:
- An online self-learning course for basic communication skills in Indian Sign Language was launched on the occasion.
- Its primary objective is to promote basic communication skills in Indian Sign Language.
- This course consists of 10 modules covering 30 essential topics, ensuring a comprehensive understanding of communication in basic Indian Sign Language.
Launch of 267 signs of financial terms:
- 267 signs for financial words were launched in Indian Sign Language.
- It has been developed jointly by the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre, Societe Generale and V-Shesh.
- Symbols for financial terminology have been developed with the aim of facilitating communication between deaf and hard-of-hearing people working in the financial and banking sectors.
- This initiative will help increase employment opportunities for deaf youth who want to work.
Dictionary with 10,000 Indian Sign Language words launched:
- A dictionary containing approximately 10,000 Indian Sign Language words was launched on the website.
- Indian Sign Language courses will be started in special schools for the hearing impaired and a video relay service for the deaf community through WhatsApp video calls will also be launched.
- Video relay service is a video telecommunications service that enables deaf people to communicate with hearing people through a remote sign language interpreter connected via video communication.
- This service can be widely used in hospitals, government offices, educational institutions, banks, workplaces, interviews, police stations and courts etc.
- This service is being provided free of cost through WhatsApp number 8929667579.
6th Indian Sign Language Competition, 2023:
- The Central Government organised the 6th Indian Sign Language Competition, 2023, a national-level competition for hearing-impaired students.
- In this, students demonstrated their creativity and knowledge skills by participating in this competition.
- All the winners of the 6th Indian Sign Language Competition were awarded trophies and certificates during the International Sign Language Day 2023 programme.