United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) India in collaboration with the International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS) presented the much-awaited “India Aging Report 2023”.
The India Aging Report 2023 is an in-depth review of the living conditions and well-being of older persons in India.
- The report highlights the challenges, opportunities and institutional responses to elder care in India as India moves towards a demographic transition leading to an increasing number of elderly people in India.
Report issued by?
- The report was jointly released by Saurabh Garg, Secretary, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and Andrea M. Wojnar, UNFPA India Representative and Country Direct Bhutan.
What data is the report based on?
- It leverages the latest data available from the Longitudinal Ageing Survey in India (LASI), 2017–18, Census of India, Population Projections by the Government of India (2011–2036) and World Population Prospects 2022 by the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs to provide an up-to-date perspective.
The report's key findings cover a number of key topics, including a variety of analyzes relating to the well-being of older people:
- Enhancement of geriatric care to meet the specific health care needs of senior citizens.
- A number of government schemes and policies address the health, financial empowerment and capacity building needs of the elderly population.
- Community-based organisations are actively engaged in digital empowerment through computer and internet access sessions.
- Corporate efforts for awareness campaigns on social support, joyful ageing, old age homes and elder abuse.
- Ministerial committees dedicated to shaping policies for the welfare of the elderly.
United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA):
- Established: 1969
- UNFPA is the sexual and reproductive health agency of the United Nations.
- UNFPA works on a wide range of sexual and reproductive health services globally.
- UNFPA covers voluntary family planning, maternal health care and comprehensive sex education.
International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS):
- Established: July 1956
- IIPS was formerly known as the Center for Demographic Training and Research.
- It was established in Mumbai to serve as a regional centre of research and training in population studies for the countries of Asia and the Pacific region.
- In April 1971, it was renamed the International Institute for Population Studies.
- It was renamed to its present title in March 1984 to facilitate the expansion of its academic activities.
- The institute was declared a 'Deemed University' in August 1985 under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
- It is an autonomous institute under the administrative control of the Department of Family Welfare, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- It is the only institute of its kind in the world dedicated entirely to research and teaching in population-related areas.