Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India is organizing a two-day (26-27 September 2023) ‘India Smart Cities Conclave 2023’ at Brilliant Convention Centre, Indore (Madhya Pradesh).
This conclave will see participation from all the 100 smart cities that are leading a paradigm shift in the city development process by being at the forefront of urban innovation.
Significance of India Smart Cities Conclave 2023:
- The event will provide a platform to showcase the exemplary work done under a mission to help determine the roadmap for the future of urban transformation in the country.
- President Draupadi Murmu will felicitate the winners of the fourth edition of the India Smart Cities Awards competition ISAC 2022 on 27 September 2023.
- This competition has been organized by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs since the year 2018 under the Smart Cities Mission.
Main activities taking place during the event:
- It is a two-day event to be held on 26 and 27 September 2023. An exhibition showcasing the award winning projects under ISAC 2022 will be inaugurated on the first day of the conclave.
- Interaction with Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) of Smart Cities and site visits to prestigious projects implemented under Smart City Mission in Indore and Ujjain will also be organised.
- ISAC 2022 Awards will be distributed by the Chief Guest on the second day of the Conclave, in which 5 States/UTs and 31 specific cities and 7 partner organizations will be honored with the awards.
- There are a total of 66 winners of the ISAC Awards.
- Additionally, the Smart Cities Mission Four Reports:- ISAC 2022 Awards Compendium, UN Habitat's Report: Smart Cities Mission – Localization of the Sustainable Development Goals, the Collection of SCM Newsletters and the ISAC 2023 Awards Booklet will also be released during the conclave.
What is the Smart City Mission?
- Mission launched: 25 June 2015
- The Mission is a centrally sponsored scheme launched with the objective of transforming 100 cities to provide essential infrastructure, clean and sustainable environment to the citizens to live a high quality of life through the application of “Smart Solutions”.
Objectives of Smart City Mission:
- To provide core infrastructure, clean and sustainable environment and good quality of life to its citizens through the application of ‘smart solutions’.
- It is a transformative mission that aims to completely transform the process of urban development in the country.
- More than 6000 projects costing more than Rs 1.1 lakh crore have been completed and the remaining projects will be completed by 30 June 2024.
- The most important achievement achieved in this mission is the Integrated Command and Control Centers (ICCC) which are operational in all the 100 smart cities.
- These ICCCs serve as the brain and nervous system for the city's operations, using technology for urban management.
- These have led to significant improvement in urban services in various areas like crime tracking, citizen safety, transport management, solid waste management, water supply, disaster management etc.
- 100 smart cities have initiated projects in various sectors related to mobility, energy, water, sanitation, solid waste management, vibrant public spaces, social infrastructure, smart governance etc.