President Droupadi Murmu unveiled Dr B R Ambedkar statue on the Supreme Court premises in New Delhi on the occasion of the Constitution Day on 26 November 2023. Every year since 2015, 26 November is observed as Constitution Day in India.
To honour Dr. Ambedkar’s contribution in the making of the Constitution, his statue was installed in the Supreme Court.
The 7-foot-tall statue of BR Ambedkar in a lawyer's dress standing on a 3-foot base stand with a copy of the Indian Constitution was unveiled by President Murmu. The Chief Justice of India, D Y Chandrachud and Union Law Minister Arjun Ram Meghwal were also present.
The President and Chief Justice Chandrachud later planted saplings on the premises of the Supreme Court. Several top court judges attended the event.
- Earlier, 26 November was observed as Law Day. On 19 November 2015, the Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment notified 26 November as the Constitution Day or Samvidhaan Diwas to promote constitutional values amongst the citizens of India.
- The first Constitutional Day was observed on 26 November 2015.
- On this day in 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Constitution of India.
- Many provisions of the Constitution were implemented on this day. However, the Constitution was officially implemented on 26 January 1950, observed as Republic Day in India.
Constitution of India and the Role of Dr Ambedkar
- The Constitution of India is the largest written Constitution in the world.
- The Constituent Assembly of India was set up to frame the Constitution of India. The 389-members Constituent Assembly of India first met on 9 December 1946.
- After the partition of India, the 299-members Constituent Assembly of India had its first sitting on 15 August 1947.
- On 29 August 1947, the Constituent Assembly set up a drafting committee to frame the Constitution of India.
- Dr Ambedkar was the chairman of the 7 member drafting committee.
- The Constituent Assembly adopted the Constitution of India on 26 November 1949. This date is also called the date of enactment of the Constitution.
- The Constitution was formally implemented on 26 January 1950. This day is celebrated as the Republic Day in India. 26 January 1950 is also called the date of commencement of the Constitution.
- The Constituent Assembly took 2 years, 11 months and 18 days to frame the constitution.
- Dr Ambedkar played a crucial role in farming the constitution and is sometimes called the Father of the Indian Constitution.
- Dr Ambedkar was India's first Union Law and Justice Minister (1947-1951).