Dr. Ravi Kannan, a renowned oncologist from Assam working to improve the lives of cancer patients, has been selected for the Ramon Magsaysay Award for the year 2023.
Padma Shri awardee Dr. Kannan has been selected by the Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation for the 'Hero for Holistic Healthcare' category. This award is considered as the Nobel Prize of Asia.
- Oncologist Dr. Ravi Kannan has been working as the Director of the Cachar Cancer Hospital and Research Center (CCHRC) in Assam since 2007.
- The Cachar Cancer Hospital and Research Center is known for treating cancer affected people in southern Assam as well as Tripura, Mizoram and Manipur.
- Dr. Ravi Kannan's efforts to make cancer treatment affordable for poor people over the past few years have included setting up remote clinics in some districts of the state.
Ramon Magsaysay Award 2023 to four people
- Along with Dr. Ravi Kannan, three other people will also be honoured with this award. These are:
- Rakshand Korvi of Bangladesh for education,
- Eugenio Lemos of Timor-Leste for environmental protection,
- Miriam Coronel Ferrer of the Philippines for peace and women's participation.
Ramon Magsaysay Award:
- The award is presented every year on August 31 in a formal ceremony in Manila, the capital of the Philippines. Because this day is the birth anniversary of the respected President of the Philippines, Ramon Magsaysay.
- Based on the ideals of Ramon Magsaysay, this award was initially given in 6 major categories.
- Government Services (GS)
- Public Services (PS)
- Community Leadership (CL)
- Journalism, Literature and Creative Communication Arts (JLCCA)
- Peace and International Understanding (PIU)
- Emergent Leadership (EL)
- But since 2009, The Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation has stopped giving awards in the above six categories and now award winners are selected annually in the field of Emerging Leadership.
- Recipients of this award are presented with a certificate, a medallion bearing the embossed image of Ramon Magsaysay, and a cash prize.