Agricultural and Processed Food Products Development Authority (APEDA), an organization under the Ministry of Commerce, Government of India, facilitated cashew exports to Bangladesh, Qatar, Malaysia and the US on National Cashew Day (NCD).
- APEDA, playing a vital role as an export facilitator, flagged off its cashew exports to four countries including the US on National Cashew Day on 23rd November, 2023. Bangladesh will receive its first ever consignment of cashew from Odisha.
India as the second largest global producer and exporter of cashew nuts:
- After Côte d'Ivoire, India is the second largest producer and exporter of cashew nuts with a share of over 15 per cent.
- After this, Vietnam ranks third in cashew nuts export in the world.
India's top cashew export destination is:
- India's top export destinations are UAE, Netherlands, Japan and Saudi Arabia.
- With UAE and Netherlands continuing to be the top export destination for Indian cashew, APEDA aims to explore new markets for cashew nut in the international markets of Japan, Saudi Arabia, UK, Spain, Kuwait, Qatar, US and European countries etc.
Top Cashew Producing States of India:
- Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu are the major cashew producing states of India. India mainly exports cashew kernels with small amounts of cashew shell liquid and cardanol.
National Cashew Day:
- 'National Cashew Day' is celebrated every year on 23 November to make people aware of cashew and increase its consumption.
- APEDA jointly with its regional offices in collaboration with cashew associations, exporters and stakeholders organized events to celebrate National Cashew Day in seven states.
- The event included a variety of activities such as interactive sessions with cashew stakeholders, platforms for networking, knowledge sharing and discussions on industry trends and challenges faced by the sector.
- At the event that brought together cashew industry stakeholders, exporters and sector enthusiasts, APEDA Chairman Abhishek Dev addressed the participants to celebrate National Cashew Day.
APEDA's efforts to take Indian cashew nut to global markets:
- As cashew nut and its products have come under the purview of APEDA, APEDA has worked with stakeholders in the cashew sector to address various issues and challenges faced by the industry such as modernization and processing facilities, logistics, quality and tough international competition.
- The National Cashew Day program celebrated by APEDA was one such platform to connect with the stakeholders of the cashew sector in all the cashew nut producing areas of the country. APEDA will accelerate such initiatives to regain its position in the world cashew trade.
- In future, APEDA may intervene in the automation of the cashew industry. Training of professionals, registration of cashew processing units and a traceability system for cashew like peanuts will be created.
- APEDA is dedicated to continuously exploring innovative ways, leveraging technology and strengthening trade relationships to ensure that Indian cashew products reach every corner of the world.