Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) Chairman Manoj Kumar launched various Khadi and Village Industries (KVI) activities during his visit to Tamil Nadu and interacted with Khadi workers during the visit.
Presided over the Khadi Karigar Sammelan to be held on August 19, 2023 at the South India Textile Research Association (SITRA) premises in Coimbatore.
- Manoj Kumar, Chairman, KVIC felicitated the best performing spinners and weavers in cotton spinning with certificates and speed awards, besides giving tool boxes and equipment to around 40 wood craft artisans who successfully completed the training program on Waste Wood Craft.
- 800 rural artisans participated in this programme. During the event, a booklet showcasing the success stories of Prime Minister Employment Generation Program (PMEGP) beneficiaries was unveiled by the KVIC Chairman.
- In his address, Kumar said that as per the data released by NITI Aayog, under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, 13.05 crore people have been brought out of poverty and dreams of people are turning into reality.
- KVIC Chairman Kumar said that Khadi, which was the pride of the national movement under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi, now stands as a symbol of 'Atmanirbhar Bharat' under the guidance of the Prime Minister.
450 percent increase in Khadi sales:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called for buying Khadi and Village Industries products on several occasions in national and international fora and has been promoting the progress of the sector, which has seen significant growth since 2014.
- In the last 9 years, the production of Khadi has increased by 260 percent, while the sale of Khadi has increased by 450 percent.
- Khadi institutions in Tamil Nadu have registered production of Rs 262.55 crore and sales of Rs 466.77 crore during the year 2022-23, which has helped in providing sustained employment to 14,396 artisans.
- In addition, it is proposed to increase production to Rs 303.39 crore and sales to Rs 477.02 crore.
- Through various schemes like Khadi Vikas Yojana, Gramodyog Vikas Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Employment Generation Program (PMEGP), SFURTI Yojana (SFURTI), KVIC has created more than 9.5 lakh jobs.
- Earlier, KVIC Chairman inaugurated the newly renovated sales centre at PMEGP unit at Kalapet, Gandhigram Khadi Gramodyog Public Charitable Trust premises at Gandhigram, Dindigul and the newly constructed workshop at Ramanathapuram District Sarvodaya Sangha Sanstha Bhavan area of Srivilliputhur under KVIC's KRDP scheme. The unit inaugurated a Common Facility Center (CFC) of Waste Wood Craft.
- Under the Gramodyog Vikas Yojana, on August 17, 2023 and August 18, 2023, he distributed tool boxes and equipment to 25 waste wood art artisans and pedal-operated incense sticks machines to 10 artisans.
Prime Minister's Employment Generation Program (PMEGP):
- PMEGP is a flagship scheme of the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME). The Government of India provides sustainable employment in both rural and urban areas in setting up micro and small units.
- The scheme provides subsidies ranging from 15 percent to 35 per cent of the total project cost of Rs 50.00 lakh for manufacturing activity and Rs 20.00 lakh for service activity, depending upon the social category of the applicant and the location of the unit.
Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC):
- KVIC is a statutory body constituted by the Government of India in April 1957 under the Act of Parliament, 'Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act 1956'. The headquarter of KVIC is in Mumbai.