Union Minister for Education and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Dharmendra Pradhan and Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla launched the ‘Skill on Wheels’ initiative on 17th September 2023 in New Delhi.
The ‘Skill on Wheels’ is an initiative of the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and private sector bank IndusInd Bank.
Under the Skill on Wheel initiative, a specially modified digital bus will be used to provide skill training to the rural youths at their doorstep so as to make them employable and earn their livelihood.
The bus equipped with the necessary digital equipment for imparting necessary skill development has been provided by the IndusInd bank as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility.
The bus will move from one location to other location in the backward areas and aspirational districts of Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
It will visit these places depending upon the availability of interested beneficiaries and will provide skill training.
Around 60,000 youth and women will be provided skill training to make them employable over a period of 5 years.
It aims to bridge the digital and financial divide between the urban and the rural youth in opportunities related to employment and the skills necessary for getting employment.
The Skill on Wheel initiative aims to empower the youth/women through skill development. It will focus on developing;
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) is the flagship scheme of the Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
It was launched on 15th July 2015.
National Skill Development Council is the nodal body for the implementation of PMKVY.
Under the PMKVY scheme, the NSDC, in partnership with the private sector, conducts skill certification to enable youth to take up industry relevant skill training that makes them employable.
National Skill Development Council was set up on 31 July 2008 as a not for profit company under the Companies Act 2013.
It was set up under the Public Private Partnership(PPP) model by the government of India.
The Government of India holds a 49% share in the company through the Union Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE). The Remaining 51% of shares are held by the private sector.
Function of NSDC
The NSDC provides funding to enterprises, companies and organisations that provide skill training.
It supports and coordinates private sector initiatives in skill development in the identified 37 sectors.
It is a private sector bank which has been promoted by the Hindujas Group.
It was set up in 1994.
It has representative offices in London(United Kingdom), Dubai and Abu Dhabi(both in the United Arab Emirates).
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Managing Director(MD) and Chief Executive Officer(CEO) : Suman Kathpalaia
Tagline: We Care Dil Se:We Make You Feel Richer