The Central Government has launched three transformative schemes for farmers related to agricultural credit and crop insurance.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched the Farmer Loan Portal, Door-to-Door Farmer Credit Card and Weather Information Network Data System in New Delhi on 19 September 2023.
- On this occasion, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that during the Covid lockdown, rural India, the farming community and the agriculture sector took the country forward.
- The Finance Minister said that farmers ensured food security for the country and became the backbone of rural India's economy.
- According to the Finance Ministry, the Kisan Loan Portal will provide information on how many people have benefited from the services. Minister Sitharaman assured that banks will also get support to make this initiative successful.
- In the context of the door-to-door Kisan Credit Card, Union Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister Narendra Singh Tomar said that the Central Government provides support of about Rs 20 lakh crore every year to the Kisan Credit Card initiative.
- Kisan Loan Portal will provide financial assistance to farmers with transparency and at a faster pace.
Which new schemes has the government started for farmers?
What is Kisan Loan Portal (KRP)?
- Developed collaboratively by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Department of Financial Services, Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Department of Fisheries, RBI and NABARD, KRP is set to revolutionise access to credit services under the Kisan Credit Card (KCC).
- It will also help farmers get concessional agricultural loans through the Modified Interest Subsidy Scheme (MISS).
- The Agricultural Loan Portal (KRP) serves as an integrated hub, providing a comprehensive view of farmer data, specifics of loan disbursement, interest subsidy claims and progress of scheme utilisation.
- By promoting seamless integration with banks, this pioneering portal enables proactive policy interventions, strategic guidance and adaptive enhancements for more focused and efficient agricultural credit and optimum utilisation of interest subvention.
What is a door-to-door KCC campaign?
- The event also marks the beginning of the “Ghar-Ghar KCC Campaign”, which will be conducted from 1 October to 31 December 2023.
- This campaign underlines the commitment of the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare to universal financial inclusion. This ensures that every farmer has unhindered access to credit facilities to fund their farming activities.
Launch of Weather Information Network Data System (WINDS) Manual:
- The Weather Information Network Data System (WINDS) initiative is a pioneering effort to establish a network of automated weather stations and rain gauges at the Taluk/Block and Gram Panchayat levels.
- This initiative creates a robust database of weather data, which supports various agricultural services.
- Launched on 19 September 2023, this comprehensive WINDS manual provides stakeholders with an in-depth understanding of the portal's functionalities, data interpretation and effective usage.
- It guides States and Union Territories in setting up and integrating with the WINDS platform, promoting transparent and objective data observation and transmission.
- It also provides practical insights for leveraging weather data for better crop management, resource allocation and risk mitigation.