The Indian delegation led by Union Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers Bhagwant Khuba participated in the 2nd World Local Production Forum (WLPF) held in The Hague, Netherlands on 7 November 2023. The meeting is scheduled for November 6-8, 2023.
World Local Production Platform (WLPF):
- The World Local Production Platform has been formed at the initiative of WHO with the aim of increasing access to medicines and other health technologies.
- This meeting provides an important opportunity to share experiences, challenges and successes in the development and manufacturing of diagnostic measures.
- According to Union Minister Khuba, we must further collaborate to identify innovative approaches that will enable sustainable and equitable access to these critical measures.
Pharmaceutical Industry in India:
- The pharmaceutical industry in India is one of the largest industries globally and is also called the 'Pharmacy of the World'.
- Indian pharmaceutical companies have become reliable and affordable suppliers of high quality medicines, significantly improving access to health care across the world.
India accounts for about 60 percent of global vaccine supply:
- India accounts for about 60 per cent of the global vaccine supply, 20-22 percent of generic exports and serves more than 200 countries through its pharmaceutical exports.
- Many Indian organizations have played a vital role in promoting innovation and entrepreneurship, which act as a landscape for innovative thinking and ultimately boost the health sector.
Promotion by the government:
- The Minister said that the Government is providing funding, guidance, incubation space etc. and acts as a bridge between academia and industry, so that innovations can be transformed into commercial enterprises in time.
Important challenges in the way of local production:
- Currently, local production faces significant challenges as it seeks to address the important issue of translating research into product development.
- Lack of technology transfer poses a serious hurdle. Validation, production, and distribution are difficult hurdles that require efficient coordination to bring innovative health care technologies to market.
- Capacity building and skilled technical workforce are essential elements in regulatory systems.
- The platform should focus on repurposing existing infrastructure for marketing, expanding the scale of regional manufacturing, efficient procurement and distribution systems and efficient coordination during health emergencies.
- Services must reach the last mile and ensure that the benefits of innovations reach those who need them most.
Kannada Rajyotsava 2023 Celebrations:
- During his visit, Union Minister Khuba also visited Eindhoven to participate in the Kannada Rajyotsava 2023 celebrations organized by Srigandha Holland Kannada Balaga.
- Union Minister Khuba also met Dr. Amar N. Ramadhin, Public Health Minister of Suriname and discussed quality health care.