Union Minister for Civil Aviation and Steel Jyotiraditya M. Scindia, along with Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh Pema Khandu will launch the newly developed infrastructure of Tezu Airport on 24 September 2023.
Tezu Airport is a domestic airport located in the city of Tezu, operating with a single runway.
How much land area is this airport spread over?
- Teju airport is developed on 212 acres of land and is capable of handling operations of ATR 72 types of aircraft.
- AAI took up development and upgradation work to operationalize Tezu Airport at the request of the State Government.
How much did the runway expansion work cost?
- The work, undertaken at a cost of Rs 170 crore, includes extension of the runway (1500 m x 30 m) and construction of a new apron for 02 aircraft of ATR 72 type, a new terminal building and a fire station cum ATC tower.
- Teju Airport was operationalised in 2018 under the RCS UDAN scheme of the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
- The airport is currently connected to Dibrugarh, Imphal and Guwahati through regular scheduled flights by Alliance Air and Flybig airline.
Main features of the terminal building:
- Terminal area: 4000 sq.m.
- Peak service capacity: 300 passengers
- Check-in Counter: 05 + (03 in future)
- Arrival Carousels 02
- Aircraft parking bays: 02 – ATR-72 type aircraft.
- Double insulated roofing system.
- Energy efficient HVAC and lighting.
- Low heat gain glazing.
- ECBC-compliant equipment.
- Solid Waste Management System.
- Use of efficient water fixtures.
- Reuse of treated water for flushing and gardening purposes.
- Rainwater harvesting integrated with sustainable urban drainage system.
Benefits of the project:
- Expanding airport capacity to handle more traffic.
- To ensure better connectivity of the North Eastern region with the rest of the country.
- To promote tourism, trade and employment generation.
- To promote infrastructure development and economic growth of the area.
Tezu Airport’s Strategic Importance:
- The strategic importance of this airport increases significantly due to Arunachal Pradesh's border with China in the north and Myanmar in the east.
- Also, China's military activities in its region and its related construction work put pressure on India to develop basic infrastructure in its region.
- Tezu is a small town situated on the banks of the Lohit River and is the headquarters of the Lohit district of Arunachal Pradesh. This city is famous for its natural beauty, where there are lush green forests and high hills all around.
- Capital: Itanagar
- Governor: Kaivalya Trivikram Paranayak
- Chief Minister: Pema Khandu