Air Chief Marshal (ACM) V.R. Choudhary received the first 'C-295MW' transport aircraft for the Air Force from the Airbus plant in Seville, Spain on 13 September 2023. After a ceremony there, the plane will fly to India.
It is noteworthy that the Cabinet Committee on Security had on September 08, 2021 approved the purchase of 56 C-295MW transport aircraft from M/s Airbus Defense and Space S.A., Spain.
- On September 24, 2021, the Defense Ministry signed a contract with M/s Airbus Defense and Space for the acquisition of the aircraft along with associated equipment.
- The aircraft is likely to be inducted into service in a ceremony at Hindon Air Force Station in the last week of September.
- It is noteworthy that Air Chief Marshal VR Choudhary, who was the Deputy Air Force Chief at that time, had led the contract agreement with Spanish defense and space company Airbus.
16 aircraft manufactured by Airbus:
- As per the contract, 16 aircraft will come to India in take-off condition from Seville, which will be manufactured by Spanish defense and space company Airbus. While the remaining 40 will be manufactured jointly by Airbus with Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL).
- Work is underway to set up a Final Assembly Line (FAL) in Vadodara, Gujarat and the first India-made aircraft will be rolled out by September 2026.
It will be taken into service to replace Avro-748:
- The C-295MW aircraft is equipped with the Indian Electronic Warfare Suite. The C-295 aircraft will replace the Indian Air Force's aging Avro-748 fleet.
Total deal worth ₹22,000 crore:
- In September 2021, the Defense Ministry signed a ₹22,000 crore deal with Airbus and Space SA, Spain, for the purchase of 56 C-295MW transport aircraft.
All 16 aircraft will be received from Spain by August 2025:
- Of the 56 aircraft ordered, the first 16 C295s will be assembled at the San Pablo Sur site in Seville, Spain, with the second aircraft to be delivered in May 2024 and the remaining 14 to be produced at a rate of one per month by August 2025.
- The total value of the deal with Spain for 56 C295 aircraft is approximately $2.5 billion. This will have a significant impact on bilateral relations as well as economic relations between India and Spain.
Several indigenous equipment were installed on the C295:
- The indigenous radar warning receiver and missile approach warning system made by Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) and counter measurement delivery system made by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) have been certified and installed on the first aircraft.
All aircraft can be manufactured in India by August 2031:
- The first of the total 40 aircraft to be built in India will be delivered in the year 2026.
- Construction of the 56th and final aircraft is likely to be completed by August 2031.
- The C-295MW is a 5 to 10 ton capacity transport aircraft with contemporary technology.
- It has a rear ramp door for quick response and para dropping of troops and cargo.
- Short take-off/landing from semi-prepared surfaces is another feature.
- This aircraft will strengthen the logistics capabilities of the Indian Air Force.