Defense Minister Rajnath Singh virtually laid the foundation stone of ‘Nyoma Airfield’ in Eastern Ladakh on 12 September 2023. Nyoma Airfield is being developed at a cost of Rs 200 crore.
Nyoma Airfield will boost air infrastructure in Ladakh and enhance Indian Air Force capability on the northern border.
- According to the Defense Ministry, the Defense Minister expressed confidence that this airfield, which will be one of the highest airports in the world, will prove to be a game-changer for the armed forces.
Bagdogra and Barrackpore airfields dedicated to the nation:
- It is noteworthy that during this time, Defense Minister Rajnath Singh dedicated the renovated Bagdogra and Barrackpur airfields in West Bengal to the nation on 12 September 2023.
- According to the Defense Ministry, these airfields, renovated at a cost of over Rs 500 crore, will not only enhance the preparedness of the Indian Air Force but also facilitate commercial flight operations in the region.
BRO dedicated 90 infrastructure projects worth Rs 2,900 Cr to nation:
- During this, Defense Minister Rajnath Singh has dedicated to the nation 90 infrastructure projects of Border Roads Organization (BRO) worth more than Rs 2,900 crore spread across 11 states and union territories.
- These include the Nechiphu Tunnel in Arunachal Pradesh;
- Two airfields in West Bengal; two helipads; 22 roads and 63 bridges.
Maximum 36 out of 90 projects in Arunachal Pradesh:
- Of these 90 projects, 36 are in Arunachal Pradesh, 26 in Ladakh, 11 in Jammu and Kashmir, five in Mizoram, three in Himachal Pradesh, two each in Sikkim, Uttarakhand and West Bengal and Nagaland, Rajasthan and Andaman and Nicobar Islands there is one each.
- Defense Minister Rajnath Singh laid the foundation stone of this tunnel in October 2020.
- This tunnel is 500 meters long located on Balipara-Charduar-Tawang Road in Arunachal Pradesh.
- This tunnel, along with the Sela Tunnel under construction, will provide all-weather connectivity to the strategic Tawang area. This tunnel will prove beneficial for the armed forces deployed in the area and the tourists visiting Tawang.