S Krishnan, Secretary, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) inaugurated the first workshop on the joint initiative of MeitY-National Science Foundation (NSF), USA for R&D proposals under MeitY-NSF research collaboration on November 02, 2023.
Objectives of MeitY-National Science Foundation Workshop:
Research cooperation was signed in May 2023:
- MeitY and NSF had signed an Implementation Arrangement (IA) on research collaboration in May 2023.
- This collaborative research opportunity between the two institutions specifically focuses on research and innovations in areas of mutual interest.
- This has been mentioned in the joint statement given by the Government of India and the United States during the visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the US in June 2023.
First joint initiative of MeitY and NSF:
- In the first joint initiative, proposals would be considered in the areas of semiconductor research, next generation communication technologies/networks/systems, cyber-security, sustainability and green technologies and intelligent transportation systems.
- The process of submission of these proposals started from August 21, 2023 and the last date for submission of proposals is January 05, 2024.
First day of the workshop concluded:
- The first day of the workshop was actively participated by more than 200 researchers and start-ups from both the countries, officials from NSF, Embassy of USA and MeitY and other senior officials from industries.
A series of sessions was organized in 5 identified areas:
A series of sessions was organized on parallel break-out sessions in all the 5 identified areas of Semiconductor Research, Industry/University Liaison, Cyber Security and Research Collaboration in which researchers from both sides participated constructively.