The President of Greece Katerina Sakellaropoulou decorated Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the 'Grand Cross of the Order of Honour' on 25 August 2023.
The Head of State of Greece confers the Grand Cross of the Order of Honor on Prime Ministers and eminent personalities who have contributed to the advancement of the status of Greece while holding distinguished positions.
- The Order of Honor was established in 1975. On the face of the star is the face of the goddess Athena.
- Along with this, the text “Only the rich should be honoured” (only honest people should be honoured) is engraved.
- The citation says- “In the person of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, an honour is bestowed upon the friendly people of India.”
- It also says, “On the occasion of this visit, the Greek State Honours the Prime Minister of India, a statesman who has tirelessly promoted the global reach of his country and who works systematically for India’s economic progress and prosperity, bringing about bold reforms. A statesman who has brought environmental protection and climate change among the top priorities of international activity.”
- Important contributions of Prime Minister Modi in giving strategic boost to Greek-Indian friendship in the areas of mutual interests have also been recognized.
- The Prime Minister thanked the President of Greece, Katerina Sakellaropoulou, the Government and the people of Greece.
- Capital: Athens
- Currency: Euro
- President: Katerina Sakellaropoulou
- Prime Minister: Kyriakos Michotakis