According to the Ministry of External Affairs(MEA), the Union External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar will lead the Indian delegation for the High-Level Week at the 78th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). The minister will be visiting the United States (US) from 22-30 September 2023.
During his 9-day visit to the United States, the minister will host a series of events and meet various world leaders.
S.Jaishankar engagement in the United States
According to the MEA, the following is the schedule of the external affairs minister in the US.
- The minister will host a special event on Global South titled 'India-UN for Global South: Delivering for Development.
- The minister will address the high-level session of the 78th UNGA on September 26.
- He will also meet the UN Secretary-General António Guterres and Dennis Francis, President of the 78th Session of the UN General Assembly.
- His engagements in Washington include discussions with his counterpart, US Secretary of State, Anthony Blinken, senior members of the US administration, US business leaders and think tanks.
- Jaishankar will also be addressing the fourth World Culture Festival being organised by the Art of Living.
What is the High-Level Meeting of the UNGA
- Every year, the annual session of the United National General Assembly session starts on Tuesday of the second week of the September month.
- The first week of the session is called the High-Level Week.
- During this period, world leaders and ministers of the member countries of the United Nations address the United Nations General Assembly on issues related to global challenges to advance peace, security, and sustainable development.
- After the address by the world leaders, the UNGA conducts a debate on world issues.
- The theme of the 78th session of the High-Level week is "Rebuilding trust and reigniting global solidarity: Accelerating action on the 2030 Agenda and its Sustainable Development Goals towards peace, prosperity, progress and sustainability for all."
About the United Nations
The United Nations was set up on October 24, 1945, as an International organisation.
October 24 is observed as the UN Day around the globe,
Headquarters: New York, the United States of America
Secretary General : António Guterres
Member Countries: 193 countries. South Sudan joined the UN in 2011 as the 193rd member.