Bangladesh Navy Chief Admiral Mohammad Nazmul Hasan is on a five-day official visit to India from 12 to 16 September 2023.
During his visit, Admiral Nazmul Hasan will hold meetings with the Chief of Army Staff, Chief of Naval Staff, Defense Secretary, Foreign Secretary besides other senior officials of the government.
- Admiral Hasan paid tribute to the fallen soldiers by laying a wreath at the National War Memorial on 13 September 2023, followed by a meeting with Chief of Naval Staff Admiral R. Hari Kumar at South Block, where he was given a ceremonial Guard of Honor.
- The two Navy Chiefs discussed issues related to enhancing cooperation in the field of operations, training, information exchange and participation in multilateral formations.
- During the bilateral talks, issues of cooperation such as coordinated patrolling of the International Maritime Boundary Line, bilateral exercise Bongosagar, conduct of naval training and mutual visits of delegations are likely to be discussed.
- On completion of the program in New Delhi, Admiral M Nazmul Hasan will proceed to Mumbai, where he will interact with the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Naval Command and also visit an indigenously built Indian Naval Ship.
- India was the first country in the world to recognize Bangladesh as a separate and sovereign state and established diplomatic relations with the country after its independence in December 1971.
- India has civilizational, cultural, social and economic relations with Bangladesh.
- India has the longest land border (4096.7 km) with Bangladesh. Assam, West Bengal, Mizoram, Meghalaya and Tripura share borders with Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh is surrounded by India on three sides while its southern border is bordered by the Bay of Bengal.
- Bangladesh has strategic importance due to its geographical location as India's eastern neighbor.
- Joint exercises are also conducted between the two countries – Army (Sampriti Exercise) and Navy (Bongosagar Exercise).
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
- President: Mohammad Shahabuddin
- Prime Minister: Sheikh Hasina