The 9th edition of the India-Sri Lanka joint military exercise, "Mitra Shakti-2023," commenced on November 16, 2023, in Aundh (Pune). The joint military exercise between India and Sri Lanka is being conducted from 16 to 29 November 2023.
Indian representation in practice:
- The Indian contingent is being represented primarily by 120 soldiers of the Maratha Light Infantry Regiment.
- While the Sri Lankan side is being represented by soldiers of 53 Infantry Division. In this military exercise, 15 soldiers of the Indian Air Force and five soldiers of the Sri Lankan Air Force are also participating in the exercise.
Objective of the exercise:
- The objective of this military exercise is to jointly rehearse sub-conventional operations under Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter.
- The exercise encompasses joint responses in counter-terrorism operations, involving tactical maneuvers such as raids, search and destroy missions, heliborne operations, and more.
- Along with this, Army Martial Arts Routine (AMAR), Combat Reflex Shooting and Yoga are also part of the exercise.
Highlights of Military Exercise ‘Mitra Shakti’ – 2023:
- Apart from helicopters, drones and counter unmanned aerial systems will also be used in the military exercise ‘Mitra Shakti’ – 2023.
- Securing helipads and casualty evacuation during counter-terrorism operations will also be jointly practiced by both sides.
- Collaborative endeavors aim to elevate troop interoperability, mitigate risks to life and property, and prioritize the United Nations' interests and agenda in peacekeeping operations.
What will be the benefits of military exercise ‘Mitra Shakti’ – 2023?
- Both sides will exchange approaches and methodology for joint exercises on a wide spectrum of combat skills which will facilitate the participants to learn from each other.
- Exchange of best practices will bolster defence cooperation between the Indian Army and the Sri Lankan Army, fostering stronger bilateral relations between the neighboring nations.
'SLINEX-23' organized between India and Sri Lanka:
- Apart from the joint military exercise Mitra Shakti-2023 between India and Sri Lanka, 'SLINEX-23' was organized in April this year.
- Under 'SLINEX-23', the Indian Navy conducted a joint maritime exercise with the Navy of the neighboring country Sri Lanka. The 'Port Phase' was followed by the sea phase of the joint exercise conducted off Colombo from 6 April to 8 April 2023. This important maritime exercise between the two countries was held in Colombo, the capital of Sri Lanka.
- 'SLINEX-23' aims to enhance interoperability, improve mutual understanding and exchange best practices while jointly conducting multi-dimensional maritime operations.