World Sight Day, celebrated annually on the second Thursday of October, is a global event aimed at drawing attention to blindness and visual impairment. This year World Sight Day is being celebrated on 12 October. Celebrating World Sight Day started in the year 1990.
Theme of World Sight Day 2023:
- The theme of World Sight Day 2023 is – “LOVE YOUR EYES AT WORK”.
- This year our focus on World Sight Day is to help people understand the importance of protecting their vision in the workplace and calling on industry leaders to prioritize workers' eye health.
By whom is it celebrated in India?
- Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPWD) is the nodal department looking after all the development agenda of persons with disabilities in the country.
- With a view to creating awareness about visual impairment among the people, DEPWD is celebrating World Sight Day through its associated institutions by organizing various programs across the country.
- DEPWD, under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, is the nodal department looking after all the development agenda of persons with disabilities in the country.
Importance of World Sight Day:
- This is an opportunity to focus the world's attention on eye health as a global issue.
- Raises awareness of eye health among individuals, families and communities.
- A platform to influence decision makers to prioritize eye health initiatives.
- Helps activate demand for eye health services globally.
- World Sight Day is coordinated by the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB).