Madhya Pradesh's Science and Technology and MSME Minister, Omprakash Sakhalecha, announced on September 26, 2023, that the state's first bio-technology park will be established in Amlibhat and Barkheda villages of Javad in Neemuch district. The Madhya Pradesh Cabinet has recently approved the park's construction.
Key highlights of the news
The park will span approximately 40 acres of land and cost around Rs 50 crore. According to Minister Sakhlecha, the park will serve as a significant research and development center and create millions of jobs through technology transfer to industries.
- The park, established under the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India's ‘National Biotechnology Parks Scheme’, is a gift for Neemuch and the entire state, including new entrepreneurs and industries.
- This will be the country's ninth park, providing research-based development technology and vital to biotechnologies' commercialization.
- The park aims to promote innovative research and development activities in biotechnology by setting up eight high-level laboratories, including a phytopharmaceutical and drug discovery laboratory, herbal formulation, plant tissue culture, quality control and quality assurance, microbial biotechnology, molecular biology, bioinformatics, and fortified food laboratory.
- The park will also prepare incubators, entrepreneurs, and innovations of the state for start-ups so that they can begin a business in the biotech sector through incubation centers and parks. The Biotech Park will be an excellent platform to promote micro and medium-scale biotech entrepreneurs, in which parks and biotech incubation centers can start biotech start-ups and entrepreneurs' biotech product companies through the partnership of public enterprises.
- Additionally, the park will provide skill training and many employment opportunities.
National Biotechnology Parks Scheme
The Department has come up with the ‘National Biotechnology Parks Scheme’ in which it is proposed to create an ecosystem to absorb the start-ups graduated from the incubators and give them a platform for further scaling up their R&D activities in collaboration with the state government and industry.
- The Department of Biotechnology has established Biotechnology Parks/ Incubators to translate research into products and services across the country by providing necessary infrastructure support.
- It provides facilities to scientists, and Small and Medium sized Enterprises (SMEs) for technology incubation, technology demonstration and pilot plant studies for accelerated commercial development of the biotechnology sector in the country.