Union Power Minister R K Singh launched two projects of the state-owned Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) on November 2. The National Efficient Cooking Programme (NECP) and the Energy Efficient Fans Programme (EEFP) have been introduced by EESL. These programmes seek to distribute ten million energy-efficient ceiling fans and twenty lakh induction cook stoves throughout the country.
The ministry recently introduced a solar panel star branding system to assist consumers learn more about the efficiency of their solar installations. EESL has also collaborated with Modern Energy Cooking Services (MECS) to deliver large amounts of induction cooktops.
National Efficient Cooking Programme (NECP)
- The National Efficient Cooking Programme (NECP) is a part of the Clean Cooking Scheme.
- The NECP is a programme that promotes energy-efficient cooking methods.
- It focuses on non-solar/electricity-based induction cook stoves that provide a cost advantage of 25-30% to assist save money and energy.
Energy Efficient Fans Programme (EEFP)
- The Energy Efficient Fans Programme (EEFP) aims to distribute ten million energy-efficient BLDC (Brush-less Direct Current) ceiling fans.
- EESL wants to reduce power usage by 35% for fans in both the organized and unorganized sectors.
- Almost 20% of total domestic power usage may be saved by replacing all present ceiling fans with the most efficient versions available today.
- The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) has made it mandatory for ceiling fans to have star labeling as of January 1, 2023.
- The launch of the 5-star labeling scheme by EESL is set to create major replacement demand for ceiling fans across India.
- Aim: To promote energy-efficient cooling solutions.
- Launch of programme to deploy one crore ceiling Fans: July 2023 during the G20 Summit in Goa.
Star Labeling Programme
- The Bureau of Energy Efficiency developed the Star Labeling Programme in response to the Energy Conservation Act of 2001.
- The Program was designed to improve energy efficiency and minimize the energy costs of appliances and equipment for customers.
About Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL)
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) is a joint initiative of NTPC, Power Finance Corporation, and POWERGRID.
- EESL is a significant provider of energy services.
- Their range includes energy-efficient items such as LED bulbs, tube lights, fans, air conditioners, streetlights, and electric cars.
- The Minister praised EESL and the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), both of which are part of the Ministry of Power.
Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
- The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) was established by the Government of India on March 1, 2002 , under the Energy Conservation Act, 2001.
- The BEE is a statutory body under the Union Ministry of Power.
- It contributes to the development of policies and initiatives with the primary goal of lowering the energy intensity of the Indian economy.