On 05 Sep 2023, a Navy delegation led by Admiral José Augusto Vera da Cunha de Menezes, Chief of General Staff of Brazil visited New Delhi.
During this, Admiral Jose Menezes met Vice Admiral Sanjay J Singh, Deputy Chief of the Indian Naval Staff.
- The Brazilian delegation also discussed areas of mutual cooperation with Vice Admiral Sandeep Nathani, Chief of Materiel of the Navy, with a focus on the Indian Navy's indigenous efforts to achieve self-reliance in submarine maintenance.
- It is noteworthy that the Brazilian Military Commander General 'Tomas Miguel Mine Ribeiro Paiva' has been on a six-day visit to India from August 28 to September 2, 2023.
- The visit is a significant milestone in the long standing relationship between the Armed Forces of India and Brazil. This shows the strengthening of relations between the two countries.
Defence cooperation between Brazil and India:
- Brazil and India signed a bilateral 'Defence Cooperation Agreement' in 2003, which calls for cooperation between the two countries in defence-related matters, particularly in the areas of research and development, acquisitions and logistics support.
- Under the framework of the agreement, a 'Joint Defense Committee (JDC)' has been established which meets at regular intervals.
Currency: Brazilian Real
President: Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva