India's 43-year-old Rohan Bopanna has faced defeat in the men's doubles final of the US Open 2023.
The pair of Rohan Bopanna (India) and Matthew Ebden (Australia) lost to Rajeev Ram (USA) and Joe Salisbury (UK) in the final of the US Open 2023.
- The final of the US Open Championship was held on 8 September 2023 on the hard courts of Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York.
- With this victory, the pair of Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury succeeded in winning the US Open Championship title for the third consecutive time.
- With this, Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury became the first men's doubles pair in over 90 years to win the US Open men's doubles title three times.
- The pair of Rohan Bopanna and Matthew Ebden are seeded sixth in the world tennis while Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury are seeded third in the world tennis.
Rohan Bopanna's second Grand Slam men's doubles final:
- This was Rohan Bopanna's second Grand Slam men's doubles final. The Indian tennis player had reached the US Open men's doubles final with Pakistan's Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi 13 years ago, but the pair lost to the American legends Bryan brothers.
- It is notable that Bopanna, the 2017 French Open mixed doubles champion, is yet to win a men's doubles Grand Slam. Rohan Bopanna had made it to the mixed doubles final of the Australian Open with Sania Mirza earlier this year.
- Earlier this year, Rohan Bopanna became the oldest tennis player to win a Masters 1000 title at the Indian Wells tournament.
- Bopanna and Ebden also won the Qatar Open in February and reached the Wimbledon semi-finals in July.
Bopanna became the oldest player:
- At the age of 43 years and six months, Rohan Bopanna became the oldest player to reach a Grand Slam final in the Open Era.
- He broke the previous record held by Daniel Nestor of Canada, who was 43 years and 4 months when he played in the 2016 Australian Open final.