The three-day (25 and 27 September 2023) Indo-Pacific Armies Chiefs Conference (IPACC) is being held at the Manekshaw Centre, New Delhi.
Defense Minister Rajnath Singh delivered the inaugural address of the 13th Indo-Pacific Chiefs of Staff Conference (IPACC) in New Delhi on September 26, 2023.
- Chief of Defense Staff, Army Chief General Manoj Pandey and chiefs and representatives of armies of 35 countries were also present on the occasion.
- Rajnath Singh said that the Indo-Pacific has developed as an important geopolitical region. The region is facing complex security challenges such as border disputes and piracy.
- The Indian Army is also co-hosting the 47th Indo-Pacific Armies Management Seminar (IPAMS) and Senior Enlisted Leaders Forum (SELF) along with the 13th IPACC.
Theme of IPACC:
- The main theme of this forum is 'Together for Peace: Sustaining Peace and Stability in the Indo-Pacific Region'.
Importance of Indo-Pacific region:
- The Indo-Pacific region is home to 64 percent of the world's people.
- This sector contributes 63 percent to the GDP.
- This sector contributes 46 percent of total global trade.
- The Indo-Pacific region unquestionably plays an important role in the world economy.
Climate change concerns highlighted:
- During this IPACC conference, Defense Minister Rajnath Singh discussed issues related to climate change of small countries of the Indo-Pacific region, demand for climate change-friendly infrastructure, solutions to global challenges, etc.
- The Indo-Pacific Armies Chiefs Conference (IPACC) was initiated in 1999 by the United States Army to discuss issues of mutual interest among the military chiefs of countries that share mutual interests.
- IPACC is a biennial event co-hosted by the United States Army with the co-host country.
- This year, the Indian Army is the co-host of IPACC.
IPACC Participating Countries:
- Army chiefs and delegations from a total of 35 countries participated in this program.
Objectives of IPACC:
- The objective of the conference is to develop a common strategy to ensure peace, prosperity and stability in the Asia-Pacific region against the growing Chinese threat.
- The conference will discuss the role of military diplomacy in crisis situations, enhancing cooperation and interoperability among the armed forces of the region.
Indo-Pacific Armies Management Seminar (IPAMS):
- Hosted annually by US Army Pacific with a co-host country. It is one of the largest gatherings of armies in the region.
- The Indian and US armies are co-hosting the 13th IPACC, 47th IPAMS and 9th SELF, a three-day conference of chiefs of service and representatives of 35 nations in New Delhi from 25 to 27 September 2023.
- The conference will provide an opportunity to the Service Chiefs and senior Army leaders primarily from the Indo-Pacific region to exchange views and discuss security and contemporary issues.
- The main endeavor of the Forum will be to promote peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific region through mutual understanding, dialogue and friendship among the littoral partners.
United States Secretary of Defence: Lloyd Austin
Important full forms for the exam:
- IPACC: Indo-Pacific Armies Chiefs Conference
- IPAMS: Indo-Pacific Armies Management Seminar
- SELF: Senior Enlisted Leaders Forum