Dr. Zambri Abd Kadir, Foreign Minister of Malaysia paid an official visit to India from 05-08 November 2023. He was also accompanied by senior officials of the Malaysian government. On November 07, Foreign Minister Dr. Zambri met Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar.
- Malaysian Foreign Minister Dr Zambri Abdul Kadir paid a four-day visit to India at the invitation of Indian External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar.
6th India-Malaysia Joint Commission Meeting (JCM):
- After this, Foreign Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar and Foreign Minister Dr Zambri Abd Kadir co-chaired the 6th India-Malaysia Joint Commission Meeting (JCM).
Important decisions taken in JCM:
- The JCM comprehensively reviewed the progress made in all areas of bilateral cooperation including political, defense and security, maritime cooperation, trade and investment, health, energy, science and technology, culture, tourism and people-to-people relations.
- The JCM, agreed on further measures to realize enhanced strategic partnership between the two and deepen economic and defense activities as well as enhance cooperation in new and emerging areas such as digital public infrastructure, fintech and semiconductors.
- Views were also exchanged on regional, multilateral and geopolitical issues of mutual interest.
As a result of the JCM, the following were signed/exchanged:
- Agreed Minutes of the JCM;
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Cooperation in Broadcasting between Prasar Bharati, India and Radio Television Malaysia (RTM), Malaysia; And
- Notes between Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service (SSIFS) and Institute of Diplomacy and Foreign Affairs (IDFR) on cooperation in the field of training of diplomats and other personnel.
- The visit of Foreign Minister Dr. Zambri Abd Kadir and the holding of the JCM have provided a new impetus to relations between India and Malaysia.
Important facts regarding India-Malaysia:
- Both countries established diplomatic relations in the year 1957.
- Both nations have inked the Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA). CECA is a type of free trade agreement (FTA).
- India has also signed an FTA in services and investment with the 10-member Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN).
- Malaysia is the third largest trading partner in ASEAN.
- Bilateral trade between the two countries is in favor of Malaysia.
- Joint military exercise "Harimau Shakti" is conducted annually between the two countries.
- India and Malaysia signed an MoU on traditional medicine cooperation in October 2010.
- Capital: Kuala Lumpur
- Currency: Malaysian Ringgit
- Prime Minister: Anwar Ibrahim (King Abdullah agreed to appoint 75-year-old leader Anwar Ibrahim as the 10th Prime Minister of Malaysia. Anwar was deputy prime minister in the 1990s and was the official prime minister-in-waiting in 2018.)
- Foreign Minister: Dr. Zambri Abd Kadir