In Jammu and Kashmir, Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha inaugurated a community radio, a first of its kind in the Union Territory, at Jammu University on its 54th foundation day.
The radio shall act as a medium to promote, propagate and disseminate the poly-vocal and poly-lingual voices of the various stakeholders of the university and act as a site of exchange for various ideas culminating in motivating people to participate in the national endeavor for integrated development of the country.
Community Radio is an important third tier in Rado Broadcasting
- Community Radio is an important third tier in Radio Broadcasting, distinct from Public Service Radio broadcasting and Commercial Radio.
- Community Radio Stations (CRSs) are low power Radio Stations, which are meant to be set-up and operated by local communities. In December 2002, the Government of India approved a policy for the grant of license, for setting up of Community Radio Stations, to well established educational institutions.
- The Policy Guidelines were amended, in 2006, permitting community-based organizations such as ICAR institutions, Krishi Vigyan Kendras, Registered Societies; Public charitable Trusts etc. to own and operate Community Radio Stations, for allowing greater participation on issues relating to development & social change.
- The Community Radio provides a platform to communities to air local voices on issues concerning Health, Nutrition, Education, Agriculture etc.
- Since the Community Radio broadcast is in local languages and dialects, people are able to relate to it instantly. Community Radio also has the potential to strengthen people’s participation in development programmes through its holistic approach.
- In a country like India, where every state has its own language and distinctive cultural identity, CRSs are also a repository of local folk music and cultural heritage. Many CRSs record and preserve local songs for posterity and give local artists a platform to showcase their talent to the community.
- The unique position of CRS is an instrument of positive social change, which makes it an ideal tool for community empowerment.
NOTE: Anna Community Radio (Anna CR) is the first community radio in India, established in February 2004, by an educational institution taking the lead in the service of the downtrodden in the local community. The purpose of Anna CR is to uplift the local community residing near Anna University, Chennai, by creating awareness on healthcare, education, female literacy, self-employment, clean environment, etc.
Jammu and Kashmir is now Union Territory
- The Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir came into existence on 31-10-2019 in terms of Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act 2019.
- The Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir has been carved out of the Erstwhile state of Jammu and Kashmir that came into being as a single political and geographical entity following the Treaty of Amritsar between the British Government and Maharaja Gulab Singh signed on March 16, 1846.
- The Treaty handed over the control of Kashmir to the Dogra rulers of Jammu who were already controlling the Ladakh region. Thus, the new region comprising three distinct regions of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh was formed with Maharaja Gulab Singh as its founder ruler.