The Union Minister of State for External Affairs Meenakshi Lekhi met Victor Verdun, Deputy Foreign Minister of Paraguay, on 4 November 2023 and discussed issues of interest in the bilateral, regional and multilateral arena. The two leaders agreed to strengthen multidimensional cooperation.
Meenakshi Lekhi's six-day state visit to Paraguay and Ecuador:
- Minister of State for External Affairs Meenakshi Lekhi is on a six-day state visit to Paraguay and Ecuador from 2 November 2023.
- During this time she would participate in bilateral talks between the two countries.
- Along with this, Minister of State for External Affairs Lekhi would meet NRIs living in these countries and participate in cultural programs.
India has close and friendly relations with Paraguay and Ecuador:
- In this context, the Ministry of External Affairs has said that India has close and friendly relations with Paraguay and Ecuador.
- Minister of State for External Affairs, Lekhi's visit offers a chance to sustain the current high-level interaction between the two nations, delve into fresh collaboration prospects, and address mutual concerns on regional and global matters.
Trip to Paraguay:
- In the first phase of her visit, Minister of State for External Affairs Meenakshi Lekhi held meaningful discussions on issues of interest spanning bilateral, regional and multilateral areas. Agreed to further strengthen multidimensional cooperation between the two countries.
- Lekhi visited the Lake Cultural Center in Areguaya, Paraguay and explored the rich history of Areguena ceramics and indigenous art.
- On 4 November 2023, Meenakshi Lekhi participated in a yoga program with Indians. For this, the Indian Embassy in Asuncion organized a program.
Conversation with Javier Jimenez, Minister of Paraguay:
- During her visit, Minister of State for External Affairs Lekhi met Javier Jimenez, Minister of Industry and Commerce of Paraguay.
- The two leaders discussed the ways to promote economic cooperation between the two countries.
- Minister of State for External Affairs Lekhi also visited the National Museum of Fine Arts and Antiquities of Paraguay.
- The museum displayed art pieces including paintings, sculptures and ceramics from the 19th-20th centuries.
- After concluding her visit to Paraguay, Lekhi would leave for Ecuador.
- The visit provides an opportunity to continue the ongoing high-level engagement with the two countries, explore new areas of cooperation and exchange views on regional and global issues of mutual interest.
- Bolivia and Paraguay are the two South American landlocked nations.
- Capital: Asuncion
- Currency: Guarani
- President: Santiago Peña (Santiago Peña, former Finance Minister, was elected as President on 1 May 2023).