The 21st meeting of the India-France Military Sub-Committee (MSC) was held on 16-17 October, 2023 at Air Force Station, New Delhi. The meeting took place in a friendly, warm and cordial atmosphere.
Chairmanship of the 21st meeting:
- Air Vice Marshal Ashish Vohra, Assistant Chief of Integrated Staff (Military Cooperation) at IDS Headquarters from the Indian side and Major General Eric Peltier, General Officer International Military Relations, Joint Staff, from the French side co-chaired the meeting.
India-France Military Sub-Committee:
- The India-France MSC is a platform established for the development of defense cooperation between the two countries through regular interactions at the strategic and operational levels between the Headquarters, Integrated Defense Staff Headquarters and the Joint Staff Headquarters of the French Armed Forces.
Objective of the 21st meeting:
- The focus of the discussion was to explore new initiatives within the framework of the existing bilateral defense cooperation framework and to strengthen the already ongoing defense activities.
Defense Minister Rajnath Singh's visit to France:
- Defense Minister Rajnath Singh visited the R&D center of the Safran Engine Division in Gainvilliers, near Paris, France on October 11, 2023.
- It is noteworthy that Defense Minister Rajnath Singh was on a four-day visit to Italy and France from 9 to 12 October 2023.
- During his visit to the Centre, he witnessed the latest developments in aero-engine technology. Safran Global CEO Oliver Andries welcomed the Defense Minister and gave him a detailed briefing along with his team.
- Safran expressed interest in being a part of the Indian growth story by working with its counterparts on mutually agreed joint projects.
- The Defense Minister also met CEOs of France's top defense companies, focusing on its plans for cooperation with India.
- Rajnath Singh highlighted the benefits of co-development and co-production in India, including export possibilities to other countries.
- He underlined the inherent advantages of the Indian market such as its wide, skilled human resource base, world-class infrastructure and strong laws.
5th Annual Defense Talks:
- Rajnath Singh held the 5th annual defense talks with French Armed Forces Minister Sébastien Lecornu.
- India and France recently completed 25 years of their strategic partnership.
- The two countries have deep and extensive bilateral defense relations, including significant industrial cooperation.
- During Rajnath Singh's talks in Paris, the possibilities of joint development of military platforms were also discussed.