Prime Minister Narendra Modi greeted the people during the Jain festival Samvatsari, convened by saying 'michchhami dukkadam'.
- Samvatsari is one of the holiest and most important festivals in the Jain calendar.
- The festival is celebrated on the last day of 'Parva Paryushan', which is the holiest festival for those of Jainism.
Occasion of 'michchhami dukkadam'
'Michchhami dukkadam' is the way of begging for forgiveness. The phrase means, 'I want your forgiveness if I have offended you in any way, consciously or inadvertently, in thought, word, or deed.'
- On the occasion of Samvatsari Jain, people convey 'michchhami dukkadam' for faults they have made, whether deliberately or unknowingly. Along with begging, forgiveness is also part of this.
- Kshama yachna divas (apology-seeking day), daya divas (kindness day), and ahimsa divas (non-violence day) are other names of this festival.
- On the festival day, people experiencing poverty are given alms, and the picture of a Jina (great teacher) is ceremoniously carried through the streets. The believers undertake a communal confession, and letters are sent asking for forgiveness.
Paryushan is a ten-day Jain festival of spiritual reflection and renunciation. The festival is mainly observed in Shwetambara.
- As Paryushan is celebrated by Shwetambara, such festival in Digambara sect is called as Dashalakshanaparvan (“Observance Day of the 10 Religious Qualities”) and which centers on the public display of an important text, the Tattvartha-sutra.
- Paryushanl is held in the month of Bhadrapada (August–September) in the Hindu calendar.
- The significance of Paryushan is to cleanse oneself of all impurities, both physical and mental. During the festival, Jains observe several austerities, including fasting, meditation, and the study of religious texts. They also avoid harming any living beings, including insects.
- The festival begins with the Pratikramana ceremony, in which Jains confess their sins and vow to refrain from committing them again. They also ask for forgiveness from those they have wronged.