President Droupadi Murmu on October 31, 2023 stressed on sustainable and responsible tourism in the Ladakh region, saying that keeping Ladakh clean is a priority for everyone.
- Addressing the foundation day celebrations of the Union Territory in Leh, she said that Ladakh has to be taken forward on the path of development while preserving its natural beauty and the unique identity of its people.
Efforts to increase connectivity with Ladakh:
- Murmu said she was happy to note that a lot of emphasis was being laid on infrastructure development to enhance connectivity with Ladakh.
- Many new policies have been implemented. As a result of these steps, Ladakh is progressing economically, especially tourism. We all prioritize keeping this space tidy at the same time.
Murmu's first visit to Ladakh as President:
- Murmu expressed happiness that her first visit to Ladakh as President occurred on the foundation day of the UT. Ladakh became a union territory on October 31, 2019.
- The President said that Ladakh is undergoing rapid multidimensional development and praised the people of the Union Territory for moving forward on the path of progress.
AHDC of Leh and Kargil strengthens democracy:
- Murmu also said that the Autonomous Hill Development Councils (AHDC) of Leh and Kargil have continuously strengthened grassroots democracy and taken meaningful steps for the development of Ladakh, especially the employment of youth.
Budget provisions for Ladakh increased five times:
- The last four years have seen a five-fold increase in the budget for Ladakh by the central government. Which shows the government's commitment to the development of Ladakh.
Making Ladakh a carbon-neutral region:
- Murmu said that several steps have been taken in line with the goal of developing Ladakh as a carbon-neutral region.
- The Public sector undertakings have started working for the development of green energy.
High Altitude Green Hydrogen Fuel Station:
- In this sequence, the world's first high altitude green hydrogen fuel station is being established by NTPC in Leh.
Green Energy Corridor project approved in Ladakh:
- Last month the Central Government approved the Green Energy Corridor project in Ladakh.
- Under the Green Energy Corridor project, renewable energy projects with a capacity of 13,000 MW will be connected to the power grid through the inter-state transmission system.
- Thus, in the journey of building a developed India by the year 2047, Ladakh remains at the leading position in the country on the parameters of economic, environmental and human development.