Indian-origin economist and former senior minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam has registered a landslide victory in the Singapore presidential election. The election results were announced after midnight on 1 September 2023.
Tharman Shanmugaratnam was born in the year 1957 in Singapore. Shanmugaratnam has been associated with the People's Action Party (PAP) for more than 20 years.
- Shanmugaratnam defeated two rivals of Chinese origin (N. Kok Song and Tan Kin Lian) in the first presidential election since 2011.
- He received a total of 70.4 percent votes in the presidential election while his rivals N. Kok Song got 15.7% and Ten Kin Lian got 13.8% of the vote.
- Tharman Shanmugaratnam, 66, served as the Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore from 2011 to 2019.
- Tharman Shanmugaratnam entered politics in the year 2001. He also did many works in the public sector and also held the post of minister.
Third Indian-origin President of Singapore:
- Tharman will be the third Indian-origin President of Singapore. Before Tharman, Indian-origin Sellapan Ramanathan and Chengara Veetil Devan Nair had also been President of Singapore.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated Tharman Shanmugaratnam on his election as the President of Singapore, saying he looks forward to working closely with him to further strengthen the India-Singapore strategic partnership.
- It is a small Southeast Asian country located at the southern tip of Malaysia. It is a vibrant and multicultural city state with a population of approximately 5.7 million people.
- Singapore is known for its strong economy, advanced technology, and strict laws and regulations.
- Singapore is also a major global financial centre and home to a thriving technology industry.
- It is also a popular tourist destination due to its beautiful gardens, iconic landmarks and diverse food scene. It is a diverse country with a mix of Chinese, Malay, Indian and European cultural influences.
- Capital: Singapore City
- Currency: Singapore Dollar (SGD)
- President: Tharman Shanmugaratnam
- Prime Minister: Lee Hsien Loong.