The 10th meeting of the Law and Justice Ministers of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) member countries was held on 5 September 2023 through video conferencing.
It was decided at the meeting that the next meeting of SCO Law and Justice Ministers will be held in Kazakhstan in 2024.
- Speaking on the occasion, Union Minister of State for Law and Justice Arjun Ram Meghwal emphasised India's commitment to the SCO Charter and its principles of mutual trust, respect for sovereignty and territorial integrity, and mutual benefit.
- Union Minister Meghwal specifically mentioned how India has embarked on the path of legal reforms. Minister Meghwal said that apart from making business easier in India, it will prove to be very helpful in improving the life and living standards of the citizens.
- In his address, the Union Minister highlighted the legal reforms being carried out in India. The Union Minister informed that the biggest emphasis is on simplifying the laws and reducing the burden of obsolete laws and acts which have become no longer useful with time.
In the past 1,486 laws have been repealed:
- According to the Union Minister, 1,486 such laws have already been repealed and some more such out-of-date laws are being identified. This will have a long term impact on the living and life of the citizens as well as increase the ease of doing business in India.
Update work on old laws continues:
- Drawing inspiration from our traditional and mythological legal knowledge to modernise and replace criminal jurisprudence laws such as the Indian Penal Code (1860), the Indian Evidence Act (1872) and the Code of Criminal Procedure (1898) dating back to the time of British imperialism Regarding this, the work of making new laws according to the realities and needs of modern and dynamic India is being done.
Request for action on digital data security:
- Reiterating India's deep concern and commitment towards digital data security, the minister urged the member states to dedicate themselves and take a pledge to work towards digital data security and a safer and better digital environment in the world. Did.
Noting the mutual understanding achieved in the field of judicial system development in SCO member states, the tasks and agreements included in the SCO Development Strategy 2025, the Ministers of Law and Justice of the SCO member states declared the following by a joint statement:
- To increase cooperation in the field of law and justice, cooperation will be done between the ministers of law and justice of the SCO member countries.
- Work on the implementation of the cooperation agreement will continue continuously.
- Conferences, legal cooperation forums will be organised for better exchange of experience.
- The work of expert working groups on forensic expertise and legal services will continue.
Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)
- It is an intergovernmental organisation established in 2001 in Shanghai, China.
- The organisation consists of nine member states, including China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India, Pakistan, and Iran.
- During the 23rd Summit of the SCO, Iran officially joined the SCO as the ninth member state.
- The purpose of the SCO is to promote regional cooperation in the fields of politics, security, economy, culture and education.
- The organisation serves as a forum for member states to engage in regular dialogue and consultation on issues of mutual interest.
- The SCO has been instrumental in promoting regional security and stability by countering terrorism, extremism and separatism.
- The organisation has observer states and dialogue partners, including countries such as Afghanistan, Belarus and Mongolia.