On November 1, 2023, the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and the Prime Minister of Bangladesh, H.E. Sheikh Hasina, will jointly launch three Indian-assisted development projects. The three projects are the Akhaura-Agartala Cross-Border Rail Link, the Khulna-Mongla Port Rail Line, and the Maitree Super Thermal Power Plant Unit II. These projects will improve regional connectivity and energy security.
Akhaura-Agartala Cross-Border Rail Link project
- The Akhaura-Agartala Cross-Border Rail Link is 12.24 kilometers long, including a 6.78-kilometer Dual Gauge rail route in Bangladesh and a 5.46-kilometer rail line in Tripura.
- This rail link is 15 kilometers long, with 5 kilometers in India and 10 kilometers in Bangladesh.
- The project was carried out with a grant of INR 392.52 crore from the Government of India to Bangladesh.
- The train link will promote cross-border trade and reduce travel time between Agartala and Kolkata via Dhaka significantly.
Khulna-Mongla Port Rail Line Project
- The Khulna-Mongla rail line project has received 69.18 percent of its finance from Indian Lines of Credit (LoC).
- The project was included in India's first Line of Credit given to Bangladesh in 2010.
- The Khulna-Mongla rail line project comprises the building of roughly 65 kilometers of wide gauge rail connecting Mongla Port and the existing Khulna rail network.
- This Rail link project establishes a connection between the broad-gauge railway network and Mongla, the second largest port in Bangladesh.
- The Bangladesh government recently authorized freight transit and transshipment from West Bengal to the northeastern states via the ports of Chattogram and Mongla.
- This move has greatly reduced the time and expense of carrying commodities to the landlocked northeastern states.
Maitree Super Thermal Power Project
- The Maitree Super Thermal Power Project construction was started in April 2017.
- The project was built with a USD 1.6 billion credit from the Indian Concessional Financing Scheme.
- It is a 1320 MW Super Thermal Power Plant (MSTPP) in Rampal, Bangladesh's Khulna Division.
- Bangladesh-India Friendship Power Company (Private) Limited (BIFPCL) is the organization in charge of carrying out the implementation of the project. BIFCL is a 50:50 joint venture between NTPC Ltd of India and the Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB).
- Unit I of the Maitree Super Thermal Power Plant was launched by Prime Ministers of India and Bangladesh in September 2022, while Unit II will be launched on November 1, 2023.
- The completion of the Maitree Super Thermal Power Plant will improve energy security in Bangladesh.