Kurukshetra University will confer the Goyal Peace Prize 2021-22 on ISRO Chairman S Somanath for his contributions to space technology.
Haryana Governor Bandaru Dattatreya and Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar appreciated the decision to confer the award on Somanath.
Dr Bindeshwar Pathak, the founder of Sulabh International, was the first recipient of the Goyal Peace Prize in 2015.
Dr K Kasturirangan, a former ISRO chairman, received a Goyal Award in 1998.
About Goyal Prize and Goyal Peace Prize
The Goyal Prizes were instituted by a philanthropist Late Mr.Ram S. Goyal, a non-resident Indian settled in the USA, to honor Indian scientists and social activists working towards the service of our country.
- For various activities related to these prizes, a Trust named Goyal Foundation was established in 1991 with Prof. S.P. Singh (a close friend of Mr. Goyal) as Convener of the Advisory Board.
- Despite the fact that these prizes were being looked after through a Trust, the administration and faculty of Kurukshetra University worked enthusiastically towards fulfillment of the high objectives and standards befitting the spirit of the awards.
- Overwhelmed by the unconditional support extended over a decade and with an intention to institutionalize these prizes, Mr. Ram S. Goyal decided in the year 2000 to transfer the responsibility of managing these Prizes to Kurukshetra University by providing a sufficient endowment fund.
- Kurukshetra University is thus the only university in India to honor the eminent scientists of the country on such a grand scale. A very transparent selection process for honoring scientists who have worked with dedication to promote excellence in their specific fields has been evolved by the University.
The Goyal Peace Prize was introduced in 2010 to honor a renowned person working in the area of social harmony, welfare of the downtrodden and environmental issues.
- Although no formal nominations are required for this prize, suggestions about the suitable persons in this regard are welcome for selection at the level of the Organizing Committee. The Goyal Peace Prize also carries Rupees two lakh in cash along with a medal and citation.