Google has launched its Android earthquake alert system in India, providing residents with real-time alerts of seismic activity. The system uses the accelerometer in Android devices to detect initial tremors and send rapid alerts, thereby enhancing disaster preparedness and protecting lives and property against earthquakes.
- This feature of Google (Android Earthquake Alert System) is already present in other countries outside India.
- Earthquake Warning System, which was announced in 2020.
With whose collaboration did Google launch Android earthquake alert system?
- Google announced that it has launched the Android Earthquake Alert System in collaboration with the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and the National Center for Seismology (NCS) of the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
Android issues earthquake alert system with the help of accelerometer:
- The Android earthquake alert system uses built-in sensors in Android smartphones, known as accelerometers. Accelerometers can function as miniature seismometers.
- With Google's Android earthquake alert system, the user's phone will turn into an earthquake detector.
How will the earthquake alert system work?
- Google noted that when an Android phone plugged in and charging detects the initial shaking of an earthquake, it sends this data to a central server.
- If multiple phones in the same area detect similar shaking, the server can estimate the earthquake's characteristics, including its epicenter and intensity.
- After this, it rapidly sends alerts to nearby Android devices.
- These alerts are transmitted across the Internet at the speed of light, often reaching users several seconds before more serious shocks occur.
Key features of Google's earthquake alert system:
- The system will send alerts by placing earthquakes in two categories.
- MMI 5+ will alert on vibration at or above 4.5 magnitude.
- In case of a strong earthquake, the phone will turn on the screen and play loud sound even after setting Do Not Disturb.
- Along with playing loud sound, measures to avoid earthquakes can also be seen on the phone screen.
When will this facility be available?
- Google's Android earthquake alert system can be used from next week (October 2023). Users using Android 5 or higher can take advantage of the earthquake alert system with location settings.
- The alerts are user-friendly and available in various Indian languages supported by Android, ensuring accessibility to a wide range of users.
What types of Android devices is this alert system compatible with?
- Android users with devices running Android 5 or newer will receive the feature in the coming weeks (October 2023).
- Users must have Wi-Fi or cellular data connectivity and ensure that both Android earthquake alerts and location settings are enabled.
- For those who do not wish to receive these alerts, there is an option to turn off earthquake alerts in the device settings.
- Additionally, when users search for terms like “earthquake near me,” they will receive relevant information to help them stay safe.
- Google's partnership with NDMA aims to complement government efforts in providing timely earthquake alerts and safety information.
- Earlier, Google has collaborated with NDMA to provide safety information regarding natural disasters like floods and cyclones to users through Google Search and Maps.
- Established: 27 September 1998
- Founders: Larry Page and Sergey Brin
- Search engine giant Google has completed 25 years in the world of technology. Google was officially launched on September 27, 1998.
- Although its founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin developed Google Search Engine on September 4, 1998.
- Larry Page and Sergey Brin started Google in a garage. Both of them were doing PhD from Stanford University in California. During this time, both of them did a lot of research on how the World Wide Web works.