The country's first solar city Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh was inaugurated on 6 September 2023 by the state's Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
With the successful implementation of the first solar city Sanchi, about 13 thousand seven hundred 47 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions will be reduced annually. Which is equal to more than two lakh trees.
- With this, there will be an annual saving of more than seven crore rupees in the energy related expenditure of the government and the citizens.
One solar city in each state of the country by 2070:
- In this context, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has set a target of developing a solar city in every state of the country by the year 2070.
Promotion of eco-tourism:
- An effort has been made to promote tourism by reducing environmental pollution through eco-friendly facilities in Sanchi.
- Battery operated e-rickshaws and garbage vans are also being run in the city to reduce environmental pollution. E-vehicle charging stations have also been set up at various places.
Sanchi Solar City is built at a cost of 18 crore 75 lakhs:
- 3 MW electricity is being generated from the solar plant built at a cost of 18 crore 75 lakhs on Nagauri hill near Sanchi's Gulgaon Road. Which will be gradually increased to 5 MW. Solar panels are also installed on houses in almost the entire Sanchi city.
- In Sanchi, this scheme has been given a concrete shape by the NHDP company of the centre. The government is also giving subsidies to the people for solar panels.
Converting archaeological places into green cities under Madhya Pradesh Renewable Energy Policy-2022:
- State Government's Energy Department has made Sanchi a solar city under the Madhya Pradesh Renewable Energy Policy-2022. Under this policy, all the places of archaeological importance are envisaged to be converted into green cities.
- Under the Madhya Pradesh Renewable Energy Policy-2022, the Madhya Pradesh government has also started eco-friendly facilities in Sanchi city. So that tourists can be attracted by reducing environmental pollution.