The Union Minister of Textiles, Commerce & Industry, Consumer Affairs and Food & Public Distribution Piyush Goyal launched the website of Kasturi Cotton India https://kasturicotton.texprocil.org on 21 October 2023. This website provides a digital platform for essential information and updates on these initiatives.
- Registration process for ginners (cotton ginners) for production of Kasturi Cotton Bharat brand and its processes, which make branded Indian cotton unique.
Kasturi Cotton Bharat is a joint initiative of?
- It is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Textiles, Cotton Corporation of India, trade bodies and industry to work on the principle of self-regulation by taking full responsibility for branding, traceability and certification of Indian cotton.
Benefits of Kasturi Cotton Bharat:
- This will increase its competitiveness in the global market.
- This will create a sustainable eco-system for all stakeholders involved.
- On the eve of World Cotton Day on 7 October 2023, the “Kasturi Cotton Bharat” brand of cotton was announced by the Ministry of Textiles. By this, Indian cotton was provided a brand and a logo.
- Subsequently, an MoU was signed on December 15, 2022 between CCI on behalf of the Government of India and TEXPROSIL on behalf of the textile industry to introduce the Kasturi Cotton Bharat brand in a mission-mode approach.
- Additionally, to provide complete traceability of Kasturi Cotton Bharat across the supply chain, QR based authentication technology will be used at each stage of processing and a blockchain based software platform will provide end to end traceability and merchant certificates.