Odiya scientist Dr. Swati Nayak has been selected for the Norman E. Borlaug Award 2023 for her unprecedented contribution in the field of agriculture and food production.
Dr. Swati Nayak has been congratulated by many dignitaries including President Draupadi Murmu and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
In which field is the award given?
- Dr. Swati Nayak, the top scientist of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), has been given this prestigious award for 'Field Research and Application'.
- She is the first Odiya scientist to receive this honour given to scientists below 40 years of age.
Swati Nayak is associated with which organisation?
- Nayak is the South Asia Head for 'Seed System and Product Management' at IRRI, New Delhi.
Who are the awards given?
- This award is given in memory of Dr. Norman E. Borlaug, Nobel laureate and leader of the Green Revolution, to those exceptional scientists under the age of 40 who work in the field of food and nutrition security hunger alleviation.
Dr. Swati Nayak:
- Delhi-based scientist Nayak from Odisha will be honoured with this award in Iowa (United States of America) from 22 to 28 October next month.
- Dr. Swati is currently living in New Delhi with her husband Priyadarshi Bal. His father Laxmidhar Nayak and mother, Vijayalakshmi Nayak, live in Bhubaneswar.
- Nayak received his PhD in Competitive Intelligence and Strategic Management for Agricultural Extension Management Strategy at Amity University. (2017-2022) received.
Norman Borlaug Field Award:
- The prize was conceived by Dr. Norman E. Borlaug, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 for his work in global agriculture.
- Dr. Norman E. Borlaug is also known as the father of the Green Revolution.
- The World Food Awards was created in 1986 with the sponsorship of General Foods Corporation.
- It is also known as the "Nobel Prize for Food and Agriculture".
- Dr. MS Swaminathan, the father of India's Green Revolution, was the first recipient of this award in 1987.