The Tamil Nadu Government launched Kalaignar Magalir Urimai Thittam on September 15, 2023. Under the schme one crore identifed women benfeciaries of the state will be paid 1000 rupees per month. The scheme has been named after the former Tamil Nadu chief minister and father of the present chief minister M.Karunanidhi . M Karunanidhi was popularly called as Kalaignar. Kalaignar in Tamil language means 'Arist'.
- Launching the scheme, Chief Minister M.K.Stalin said that the role of a woman is always undermined and their rights are ignored. He said that women's rights to economic empowerment is important for the development of society.
- The scheme was launched at Kanchipuram, the birthplace of late Chief Minister and DMK founder C.N.Annadurai. The State will spend 12 thousand Crores rupees annually for the scheme which aspires to improve the financial security of women heads of households and aims to reduce poverty.
- The Chief Minister also distributed the scheme to the beneficiaries at the event.
- 15 September is the birth anniversary of the first chief minister of Tamil Nadu, Conjeevaram Natarajan Annadurai or CN Annadurai.
First Chief Minister of TamilNadu
Annadurai was the last chief minister of Madras State, which he renamed Tamil Nadu in 1969. He implemented the Dravidian ideas related to social justice, state autonomy, and language rights. He is also known for his oratory and writing skills.
- He was born to Natarajan and Bangaru Ammal on 15 September 1909. His father was a weaver.
- A look at the life of Perarignar (scholar) Anna as he was popularly called and why he remains still very influential in Tamil Nadu politics.
- In 1949, he founded the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK), now the ruling party in Tamil Nadu, after walking out from the Dravidar Kazhagam, the outfit floated by social reformer Periyar EV Ramasamy (EVR).