- Sep 08, 2021
- Blog, Blog English,
After the conclusion of the Tokyo Olympics, Tokyo Paralympics 2020 was also successfully held. Due to the Corona pandemic, this Paralympic tournament was organized from 24 August to 5 September. In which athletes from all over the world showed their strength by working hard to get the medal. Through today’s article, you will get important information related to the Tokyo Paralympic 2020.
It is the 16th Summer Paralympic Games. It was held in Tokyo, the capital of Japan. Five new countries also participated in this year’s Paralympic Games. These five countries are Bhutan, Maldives, Grenada, Paraguay, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games mascot – The Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games mascot is Solemnity. This is quite a powerful character, with powerful powers and cherry blossom touch sensors.
Top 5 countries in medal tally –
|China||207 (Gold: 96, Silver: 60, Bronze: 51)|
|Great Britain||124 (Gold: 41, Silver: 38, Bronze: 45)|
|United States of America||104 (Gold: 37, Silver: 36, Bronze: 31)|
|Russian Paralympic Committee||118 (Gold: 36, Silver: 33, Bronze: 49)|
|Netherlands||59 (Gold: 25, Silver: 17, Bronze: 17)|
In the 16th Summer Paralympics, 4,500 athletes from 163 countries competed in 540 events across 22 sports. This time the Afghan flag has been included in the opening ceremony, despite there being no athletes from Afghanistan. Because the players from Afghanistan are not able to participate due to the tense atmosphere created by the Taliban occupation of the country. However, many countries have not participated in this Paralympic due to the corona epidemic. A total of 21 countries are included in the list that did not participate.
India in Paralympics:
- India participated in the Paralympics for the first time in the year 1968.
- Before the Tokyo Paralympics, India has won a total of 12 medals in these Games.
- 54 players from India participated in the Tokyo Paralympics.
- This time India finished 24th in the medal tally, winning a record 19 medals.
- India won a total of 5 gold, 8 silver and 6 bronze medals.
India’s overall performance:
In the Tokyo Paralympics, India made its journey successful with 19 medals. It has five gold, eight silver and six bronze medals. This is India’s best-ever performance in the Paralympic Games. It was such a good performance that two players from India won two medals each.
Names of medal winners of India –
Gold medallist –
1. Avani Lekhara – Avani achieved this feat in the women’s R-2 10m Air Rifle Standing SH1 to become the first Indian woman athlete to win a gold medal at the Paralympic Games. Avni, just 19 years old, equalled the world record by scoring 249.6 in the final.
2. Sumit Antil – Sumit won the gold medal in the F64 category of javelin throwers. Sumit threw a record 68.55m Javelin.
3. Manish Narwal – Shooter Manish Narwal scored 218.2 in the final of P4 Mixed 50m Pistol SH-1.
4. Pramod Bhagat – He has become the first Indian player to win gold in the Paralympic badminton tournament. He has won gold in Badminton Men’s Singles SL3.
5. Krishna Nagar – Krishna Nagar won the gold medal in men’s singles SH6 of badminton.
Silver medalist –
1. Bhavina Patel – Bhawna won the first medal for India in this Paralympics. She managed to win a silver medal in the Class 4 category of Table Tennis.
2. Nishad Kumar – In the men’s T-47 high jump, Nishad Kumar won the silver medal with a jump of 2.02 meters in the first attempt and 2.06 meters in the second attempt.
3. Devendra Jhajharia – In the F46 category of Javelin Throw, Devendra won the silver medal with a best throw of 64.35.
4. Yogesh Kathunia – Kathuniya won the silver medal in the men’s discus throw in category 56. He achieved this success with the best throw of 44.38m in his last attempt.
5. Singhraj Adhana – Singhraj won the silver medal in the P4 Mixed 50m Pistol SH-1 with a score of 216.7.
6. Mariyappan Thangavelu – Mariyappan Thangavelu won the silver medal for the country in the men’s high jump T-63 event with a jump of 1.86m.
7. Praveen Kumar – Praveen Kumar won the silver medal in the men’s high jump T64 category with a jump of 2.07m and set an Asia record.
8. Suhas Yathiraj – Noida District Magistrate and badminton player Suhas won a silver medal in the SL4 category.
Bronze medalist –
1. Sunder Singh Gurjar – Sundar won the bronze medal for the country in the men’s F-46 category with a javelin throw of 64.01m.
2. Singhraj Adhana – Singhraj won the bronze medal in the men’s 10m Air Pistol SH1 event with a score of 216.8.
3. Sharad Kumar – In the men’s high jump T-63 event, Sharad Kumar won the bronze medal with a jump of 1.83m.
4. Avani Lekhara – In the women’s 50m rifle 3 positions SH1 event, Avani won the bronze medal with a score of 445.9.
5. Harvinder Singh – Harvinder Singh won the bronze medal in Men’s Individual Recurve Archery. With this, he has become the first Indian archer to win a bronze medal in the Paralympics.
6. Manoj Sarkar – Manoj Sarkar performed better in the SL3 category of badminton and won the bronze medal for the country.
Indian players have created history by performing exceptionally well in the Tokyo Paralympics. This time India has secured the 24th position, winning a total of 19 medals. Players have won 8 medals in athletics, 5 medals in shooting, 4 medals in badminton and 1 each in table tennis and archery. India’s medal tally in the Paralympic Games has reached double digits for the first time. In this historic performance of India, Avani Lakhera and Singhraj have been successful in winning two medals each.