On August 22, 2023 The Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (MDoNER) and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) signed an MoU to improve the lives of the people in the North Eastern region.
An MoU was signed in the presence of B.L. Verma, Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region and Minister of State for Cooperation and Ms. Ulrika Moder, Director, Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA), UNDP.
- In this agreement, UNDP will provide technical assistance to MDoNER to accelerate progress on SDGs including monitoring, evaluation and capacity building; support of aspirational districts and blocks; Administration, and deployment of emerging technologies in enhancing healthy practices.
- The Ministry of Development of the North Eastern Region has taken remarkable steps in critical areas like infrastructure, connectivity, health, education, climate change and economic development to transform the lives of the people in the region.
- In this journey, UNDP has been our key partner in promoting data-based decision-making, especially through the NorthEast Region District SDG Index.
- The Minister of State said that the NER District SDG Index has helped in building the flagship 'PM-Divine' scheme, which seeks to finance infrastructure and social development, especially for women and youth, to boost livelihood opportunities in the region. does.
United Nations Development Program (UNDP):
- Establishment: 1965, (Started actively working from January 1966).
- Headquarters: New York
- President: Achim Steiner (2021)
- UNDP is a global development network of the United Nations.
- The establishment of UNDP is based on the merger of the United Nations Expanded Program of Technical Assistance and the United Nations Special Fund.
- UNDP provides expert advice, training and grant aid to developing countries, with an emphasis on aid to least-developed countries.
- The UNDP Executive Board is made up of representatives from 36 countries around the world who serve on a rotational basis.
- It is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from member states.
- Index released by UNDP: Human Development Index (HDI).