The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has announced the India Smart City Awards for the year 2022 on 25 August 2023. Indore city has secured the top position in this.
The Ministry has announced 66 winners in various categories of winners of the National Smart City Awards 2022.
- The awards to these winners will be given by President Draupadi Murmu on 27 September 2023 at a function in Indore.
- Prominent among the winners of the National Smart City Awards 2022 are:
Best National Smart City Award:
- In the announcement of these awards, Indore received the best “National Smart City Award” among 100 smart cities of the country.
- While Gujarat's Surat got the second and Agra got the third position.
Best State Award:
- Madhya Pradesh has bagged the best 'State Award' while TamilNadu secured the second position in the order.
- Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh shared the third position. While Chandigarh has been given the top position in the Union Territories category.
- It is noteworthy that in October last year, Indore was chosen as India's cleanest city for the sixth time in a row.
- The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has announced 66 winners in various categories of National Smart City Awards 2022 on 25 August 2023.
Smart City Mission (SCM):
- The Smart Cities Mission (SCM), launched on 25 June 2015, aims to provide core infrastructure, clean and sustainable environment and dignified quality of life to its citizens through 'smart solutions'.
- It is a transformative mission that aims to bring about a paradigm shift in the practice of urban development in the country.
- Out of the total proposed projects under SCM, 6,041 (76%) projects worth ₹1,10,635 crore have been completed and the remaining 1,894 projects worth ₹60,095 crore will be completed by June 30, 2024.
- The most notable milestone achieved in the mission is the Integrated Command and Control Center (ICCC) which is operational in all the 100 smart cities. These ICCCs play a vital role in the governance of the city, using technology for urban management.
- There has been significant improvement in urban services in various areas like crime tracking, security of citizens, transport management, solid waste management, water supply, disaster management etc.
- The 100 smart cities have undertaken projects in various sectors related to mobility, energy, water, sanitation, solid waste management, vibrant public spaces, social infrastructure and smart governance etc.
- The India Smart Cities Award Competition (ISAC) is organised under the Smart Cities Mission of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India.
- One of the important activities initiated under this mission is to recognize pioneering city strategies, projects and ideas to reward exemplary performance, enable peer learning and disseminate best practices.
- ISAC recognizes and rewards cities, projects and innovative ideas that are driving sustainable development among the 100 Smart Cities, as well as encouraging inclusive, equitable, safe, healthy and supportive cities, creating a better future for all. The quality of life is increasing.
- In the past, ISAC has brought three editions in 2018, 2019 and 2020. The fourth edition of ISAC was launched in Surat in April 2022 during the 'Smart Cities-Smart Urbanisation' programme.