On 07 Nov 2023 The Central Government issued an advisory to key social media intermediaries to identify misinformation and deepfakes.
Advisory issued against actions to social media intermediaries:
- Under this, important social media intermediaries require the users of their social media platform computer resources not to host, display, upload, modify, publish, transmit, store, update or share any information that impersonates any other person. Made reasonable efforts to -
- Ensure that appropriate precautions are taken and appropriate efforts are made to identify misinformation and deepfakes and
- In particular information that violates the rules and regulations and/or provisions of user agreements and
- Such cases are promptly processed within the time limit prescribed under the IT Rules 2021, and
- Users are asked not to host such information/content/deepfakes;
Instructions to remove it within 36 hours time frame:
- Remove any such content within 36 hours of it being reported
Provisions under IT Rules 2021:
- Ensure prompt action and disable access to the content/information within the time limit prescribed under IT Rules 2021.
- The intermediaries were cautioned that any failure to act in accordance with the relevant provisions of the IT Act and Rules would attract Rule 7 of the IT Rules, 2021 and the organization would be liable to lose the protection available under Section 79(1) of the Information Technology Act, 2000. Can be made responsible for.
IT Rules 2021:
- The IT Rules (2021) compel social media platforms to be more proactive regarding content on their platforms.
- There is a need to set up a grievance redressal mechanism and remove illegal and inappropriate content within a stipulated time frame.
- The Grievance Officer of the Platform's redressal mechanism is responsible for receiving and resolving user complaints.
- Intermediaries will remove or disable within 24 hours of receipt of complaints any content that exposes the privacy of individuals, shows such individuals in full or partial nudity or sexual activity or is in the nature of impersonation including morphed images etc.
The central government notified amendments to the Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules, 2021. Whose main objective is to make the Internet accessible, secure, reliable and responsive for the citizens of the country.