The fourth meeting of the G-20 Culture Working Group is being held in Varanasi from August 23, 2023, which will conclude with the Culture Ministers' meeting on August 26, 2023.
Representatives of G-20-countries, invited countries and various international organisations will attend the meeting.
- Following up on the success of the earlier three CWG meetings in Khajuraho, Bhubaneswar and Hampi and four global thematic webinars, the fourth meeting of the CWG is being held in Varanasi from August 23 to 25, 2023.
- It aims to achieve effective results by placing culture at the centre of policy-making.
- A comprehensive report entitled 'G-20 Culture: Shaping the Global Narrative for Inclusive Growth' views and recommendations from expert-driven global thematic webinars on priority areas of the CWG has been included.
- The report was released by the Culture Working Group under India's G-20 presidency as a part of the Culture Ministers' meeting in Varanasi.
Purpose of the meeting:
- The Culture Ministers' meeting in Varanasi will aim to accelerate collective action towards progress on the four priority areas articulated under the Indian chairmanship.
- Through this, the conservation and restoration of cultural property, the use of existing heritage for a sustainable future, the promotion of cultural and creative industries and the creative economy, the work of taking advantage of digital technologies for the protection and promotion of culture will be promoted.
- The CWG under India's G-20 chairmanship had launched the campaign 'Culture unites all' to highlight India's unwavering belief in multilateralism based on peaceful co-existence among diverse cultures and communities.
Culture Unites All Postage Stamps:
- CWG is releasing a special postage stamp to commemorate the campaign on 26 August 2023. The 'Culture Unites All' stamp has been designed as a distinctive symbol combining ideas of connectivity, communication and travel to represent cultural exchange and establish a cultural context.
- During the meeting, the delegates will have the opportunity to experience the world famous Ganga Aarti on the banks of river Ganges and learn the beautiful history of Sarnath, the lion-headed capital of Emperor Ashoka.
G-20 Global Orchestra Performance:
- Celebrating the rich musical knowledge and heritage of the G-20 member countries and invitees, a G-20 Global Orchestra performance titled "Sur Vasudha" will be presented in Varanasi.
G-20 Culture Ministers Meeting:
- In the year 2020, under the presidency of Saudi Arabia, the Ministers of Culture met for the first time outside the G-20.
- In 2021, Culture was formalised as a Working Group under the Italian Presidency, resulting in the G-20 Culture Ministers meeting and the subsequent release of the 'Declaration of the Rome Ministers of Culture'.
- The 'Bali Declaration' of 2022 under the presidency of Indonesia emphasised the role of culture in sustainable development.
- In Varanasi, this will be the fourth time that Culture Ministers of G-20 members and invited countries will meet.