The Government of India, in association with State Governments, is launching an ‘Invoice incentive Scheme’ by the name ‘Mera Bill Mera Adhikaar’ from 1st September 2023 . The aim of the scheme is to motivate customers to ask for bills(invoice) every time they make a purchase. The customer has a chance to win a cash prize of Rs 10,000 to Rs 1 crore under this scheme.
Where will it be launched ?
Initially the scheme will be launched as a pilot project in the States of
- Gujarat and
- Haryana and the
Union Territories of
- Dadra Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu.
The pilot scheme will run for 12 months .
Who can participate in the Mera Bill Mera Adhikaar Scheme ?
- All residents of India will be eligible to participate in this Scheme irrespective of their State/Union Territories .
- All Business-to-Customer (B2C) invoices issued by Goods and Services Tax (GST) registered suppliers (registered in the States of Assam, Gujarat & Haryana and Union Territories of Puducherry, Dadra Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu) to the consumers will be eligible for the 'Mera Bill Mera Adhikar' scheme.
Incentive under the scheme
- Under the ‘Mera Bill Mera Adhikaar’ scheme the customer will have to upload the GST bill on the mobile app ‘Mera Bill Mera Adhikaar’ on IOS and Android and web portal ‘web.merabill.gst.gov..
- A customer can upload a maximum 25 invoice in a month to be eligible for a lucky draw.
- The minimum purchase value of an GST invoice to be considered for the lucky draw is Rs.200.
- The monthly and quarterly draws will be held and the winners will receive cash prizes ranging from Rs 10,000 to Rs 1 crore.
Reason for bringing this scheme
- The scheme has been conceptualized to encourage citizens and consumers to seek original invoice from the seller while purchasing goods or services in Business-to-Customer (B2C) mode.
- When the consumers will start asking for the bill of their purchase, then it will be able to curb those businessmen who are trying to save tax without giving a GST bill.
Goods and Service Tax (GST)
The 101st constitutional amendment Act of 2016 led to the introduction of Goods and Service tax in India.
GST is a single Indirect tax which replaced multiple indirect taxes levied by the Central and State governments.
It was implemented on 1 July 2017 in India.