The Change of Guard ceremony was conducted at 'Sword Arm', Western Fleet of the Indian Navy on 10 November 2023. Rear Admiral CR Praveen Nair, NM takes over as Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet from Rear Admiral Vineet McCarty during a ceremonial naval parade at the Naval Dockyard, Mumbai.
- Rear Admiral CR Praveen Nair was commissioned into the Indian Navy on 01 July 1991.
- He is an alumnus of the Naval Academy, Goa and the Defense Services Staff College, Wellington and the US Naval War College, Newport, USA. He has served as Flag Officer Commanding the Assistant Chief of Naval Personnel (Policy & Plans) at Naval Headquarters.
- Rear Admiral Nair has served as a communications and electronic warfare specialist on board Indian Navy warships Krishna, Kora and Mysore.
- Rear Admiral Nair has also served as Fleet Electronic Warfare Officer and Fleet Communications Officer of the Western Fleet and Fleet Operations Officer of the Eastern Fleet.
- Rear Admiral Nair has wide experience in the field of naval training with his tenure as the Sword Training Corps and Directing Staff at the Naval War College, Goa and Officer-in-Charge of the Signal School, Kochi.
- Rear Admiral Nair has also served as Commodore (Personnel) at Naval Headquarters.
- Rear Admiral Nair commanded both the missile corvette INS Kirch and took the helm of the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya. He has also successfully discharged his duties on board the Guided Missile Destroyer INS Chennai.
Admiral Vinit McCarty:
- Admiral Vineet McCarty was handed over as Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet during the Change of Guard ceremony on 15 November 2022, the ‘Sword Arm’ of the Indian Navy, Western Fleet.
- A ceremonial Naval Parade was held at the Naval Dockyard, Mumbai, and the baton of the Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet was handed over by Rear Admiral Sameer Saxena to the new Fleet Commander, Rear Admiral Vineet McCarty.
Main Commands of the Indian Navy:
- The Indian Navy is deployed under three area commands, each area commanded by a Flag Officer.
- The headquarters of the Western Naval Command is located in Mumbai in the Arabian Sea;
- The Southern Naval Command is based in Kochi (Cochin), Kerala and is also located in the Arabian Sea;
- Situated on the Bay of Bengal, the Eastern Naval Command finds its headquarters in the coastal city of Visakhapatnam.
- The headquarters of all three military forces of India are located in New Delhi.
Chiefs of Indian Military Forces:
- Chief of Defense Staff: General Anil Chauhan
- Army Chief: General Manoj Pande
- Air Chief Marshal: VR Choudhary
- Navy Chief: Admiral R Hari Kumar